IGNORED

Trying to resurrect another Z

madkaw

Surely you can find some rust free z's out there to cut up! Besides, yours might not be that bad.

I was starting to fab up my own structure as shown earlier in the thread and it was coming out pretty decent-and I'm not a body man. Though I do have a state of the art bench vise and 2X4'sLOL

Well didn't get much Z stuff done today, although I did squeeze in a valve adjustment on my car. A few were off just a little, but to be expected after break in I guess. My Schneider cam looked good despite all the horror stories out there about these cams.

More importantly I am trying to find another Subaru for my wife. Her baby, a 2005 Forester XT got broadsided last week and it was totaled. Thank God my wife is okay except for some major bruising. The way the Subby handled the crash only reconfirmed that we need to get another Subby. And of course my wife has tasted the Turbo power and she will only settle for it. I'm gonna tell ya guys, if you haven't ridden in one of these forester turbo's, your in for a suprise. They really do haul arse! And they handle too!!

You know anyone looking for a 2.5 turbo, I know where there is a fresh kill;)

Glad to hear she was OK. Some, if not all the Subies, feature a Boron steel hoop that runs up the B-pillars and over the roof. There is a memo that went out to all the fire and rescue squads on how to cut through that hoop in the event of a roof removal procedure. The jaws won't cut it!

Remember that scene in the movie Alice's Restaurant where the hero was sitting in jail on a bench and the other jailbirds on the bench asked him what he was in for and when he said "littering" they looked at each other, decided that was too lame of a reason to be in jail and moved away from him? I sorta feel like that sharing some of the work I am doing on my Z at least so far in comparison to some of the heroics others are involved with. Last weekend in preparation for taking the fenders off and doing anti rust work I started unbolting the bolts holding the fenders on and putting anti seize on them and putting them back in. I wanted to make it easy for myself when I do that work later and wanted to verify there were no rusted bolts that would prevent me from taking the fenders off easily. That was a problem I had to fix on my first 240. I am putting liberal anti seize on every bolt and screw I take off before I put it back on. So far, so good on the fender bolts.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Well it has been some busy Z days around here. I am almost finished with the sheetmetal work done on this car. I was able to haggle with the vendor over the bad rocker attachment points and he refunded me 40$, so crying does help sometimes;)

All in all the rocker fits pretty well. The dogleg wasn't bad either, but great inconsistancies between panels. The passenger side had barely enough material and the driver's side had too much!

I finished up the hatch area and that panel was a lifesaver. The more I dived into this car I realized it was hit pretty hard in the rear. The rear frame rail behind the valence is 1/2" away from touching the rear valence. I'd say these repairs were done many years ago since everything was brazed together, but good welds though.

Also had to weld in an exhaust outlet since the old one was mangled-thank god for donor cars

post-7622-14150812340347_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150812340998_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150812341574_thumb.jpg

Edited by madkaw

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a year of working on this car, when it fit into my schedule, it is about ready for the paint shop. The last hurdle was the passenger fender. There was a pound of bondo in the lower section to fill rust and damage. I was skeptical about patching in a lower, but it seemed to work out pretty well. A few more tac welds and I'll call her done.

Now it's time to do some metal prepping and seam sealing to keep the rust at bay for the rest of her life.

It was also time to close up shop for a while so I can spend a winter working on my car.

post-7622-14150812516823_thumb.jpg