IGNORED

Trying to resurrect another Z

madkaw

I just realized there was a forum on 'what i did today"-cool! I have been working on Greg's Z forever it seems-sorry Greg, but I'm back at it hard. Today has been a particular fabbing challenge in that I have to rebuild the sheetmetal under the rear hatch panel. Greg supplied me with a repair panel, but once I started digging into things it got ugly. This by far has been one of my most challenging projects. Too many angles and bends. I am pleasantly pleased with how the first side came out, but there is still much to do. Someday I might have some real sheetmetal tools like a metal brake or something, but the vise and some angle iron will have to do for now:laugh:.

post-7622-14150812078897_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150812079612_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150812079892_thumb.jpg

Dang! Didn't realize the rust went under the sill that much. It makes sense though since the hatch was badly leaking and had little to no gasket left.

Eastwood makes reasonably priced brakes and rollers... should tell the Mrs that'd be a great Christmas idea. ;) I loved getting tools for Christmas.... kinda miss those days!

Keep up the good work Steve!

By the way Greg, that panel was already replaced once. I found all the brazing when I was tearing it apart. So the fact that it was messed with once already probably caused more rust. Hell- my car also had that panel replaced by the PO. Even with a metal brake this would be a PITA-like I said, too many angles.

Steve, thats probably one of the most complex part on the Z. I wish I had a suitable panel from a parts car to send you, but most Z's seem to have the same damage there.

I'm surprised it was replaced already. Seems the PO or painter used body filler to repair rust. PO repairs not done right seem to make it worse in the long run. Remember the mess Samantha had with the drivers floor pan and doglegs? and my brother thinks she would make a good race car??? hahahaha she would break in half under race load! The only good part she had was the wheel well and drivers firewall...

Well didn't get much Z stuff done today, although I did squeeze in a valve adjustment on my car. A few were off just a little, but to be expected after break in I guess. My Schneider cam looked good despite all the horror stories out there about these cams.

More importantly I am trying to find another Subaru for my wife. Her baby, a 2005 Forester XT got broadsided last week and it was totaled. Thank God my wife is okay except for some major bruising. The way the Subby handled the crash only reconfirmed that we need to get another Subby. And of course my wife has tasted the Turbo power and she will only settle for it. I'm gonna tell ya guys, if you haven't ridden in one of these forester turbo's, your in for a suprise. They really do haul arse! And they handle too!!

You know anyone looking for a 2.5 turbo, I know where there is a fresh kill;)

post-7622-14150812127673_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150812127997_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150812128216_thumb.jpg

post-7622-1415081212844_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear that, and glad you are okay.

I use to have a Subaru myself and have had a few minor accidents in it. I can also vouch for the safeness of these cars.

Awesome work on the hatch panel, that is something I will be doing very soon =)

Greg,

to answer your question the 19 year old ran a stop sign and came out on the highway at about 40+ and dina was doing 60+. She spun out about 5 times and took out the "do not enter sign" on the other side of the median. He said that he had never been on that road before and didn't know it ended there at the highway.

What I did today was to get off my rocker, or get off your rocker:) probably should have done this first, but I am not looking foward to aligning this panel to look good everywhere.

I also signed off on a new Forester for the wife, it's sweet! maybe someday the old man can buy a new Z!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-7622-14150812131207_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well my Tabco rocker didn't quite fit -actually it did fit but the holes to bolt down the fender underneath are over an inch off:mad:

So I sent pictures and a nasty gram to Mill Supply where I bought it from and they are dealing with me now. I mean I could redrill and weld back in place the nutplates, but I paid good money for this panel. I let everyone know how this turns out.

So I went back-literally to the back of the car again to press on with the rear valence area. I am very fortunate that a member here so my post and brought me a little present the other day. I guess he felt sorry for me seeing all that fab work I had to do. What a nice guy and what a nice panel he brought me. This will make things easier, but this will still be a challenge to splice in. As you can see I have it roughed into place for right now. It is just laying there, but it will look a hell of a lot better then me fabbing everything. This replacement is 98% rust free, so I just need to get it fitted correctly and be done with it. I spent several hours this morning fitting it and now it's too dam hot to do anymore. maybe I can get this knocked out by the time I settle over the rocker panel.

post-7622-14150812203457_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150812204148_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150812204733_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150812205488_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150812206075_thumb.jpg