IGNORED

Decals instead of badges?

7T1240

In the planning stage for paint on my car, I've been thinking about issues that I might address in the process. I recently asked a question about the viability of fiberglass fenders on a daily driver in hopes of eliminating the niggling little dents that seem to inevitably show up there. I'm going to stick with factory, steel fenders, as several here suggested.

But another issue that seems to be a bit of a hassle (or is it just me?) is washing and waxing around all the high-rise emblems on these cars. I know the badges are part of what makes a 240-Z what it is. But what I was thinking is, what if those emblems were duplicated in a decal instead of a badge? Dumb idea? Has anyone heard of such "badge decals" being offered anywhere? I'm talking about the hood emblem, fender emblems, C-pillar emblems, hatch emblems (I'm probably forgetting some?).

Thoughts?

Gary S.

For me the original badges are part of what makes the Z a Z, especially on a stock car. I have seen these decals on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Datsun-240z-sticker-decal-sign-9-4-x3-7-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3efb1f4879QQitemZ270501103737QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories and http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Datsun-Chrome-sticker-decal-sign-6-8-x1-1-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3efb1f488aQQitemZ270501103754QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories and thought they might be a decent alternative if you had a rear spoiler. They might have others available or be able to make them. I think decals for the hood and quarter panels would probably look bad, but maybe the lower fenders and hatch might look ok. I just wouldn't do it on any of my cars.

-Mike

Contact Les at Classic Datsun Motorsports. He has some nice ones already made. Not sure if he has the complete car, though.

Thank you for the tip Rich. I got pretty excited hearing that no less of an authority than Les has them. So, I went to his website, and unfortunately I don't see mention of them. I was hoping to see photos of what he has. Anyway, thank you, I'll give him a call.

For me the original badges are part of what makes the Z a Z, especially on a stock car. I have seen these decals on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Datsun-240z-sticker-decal-sign-9-4-x3-7-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3efb1f4879QQitemZ270501103737QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories and http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Datsun-Chrome-sticker-decal-sign-6-8-x1-1-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3efb1f488aQQitemZ270501103754QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories and thought they might be a decent alternative if you had a rear spoiler. They might have others available or be able to make them. I think decals for the hood and quarter panels would probably look bad, but maybe the lower fenders and hatch might look ok. I just wouldn't do it on any of my cars.

-Mike

Hi Mike. These are great tips as well, thank you. I have only recently purchased a spook and rear spoiler for my car, so hatch emblem relocation is definitely a consideration, and the decal may be a good option. I also like the BRE "Datsun" rear spoiler decal, but as near as I can tell from the BRE website, that decal can only be purchased as a set of 3. And Mike, given the originality of your cars, I can surely see why you wouldn't elect the decal option.

Am I making the badges out to be more of a nuisance than they really are? I ask this question because my car has needed paint since I purchased it 6 or so years ago, so I've yet to buff or wax it (paint is faded on the hatch, spider-webbed on the left 1/4 panel and driver's door, as well as the roof.)

Gary S.

David Palermo just had a bunch made up and is offering them for sale here.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/92784-s30-z-emblems-in-vinyl/page__view__findpost__p__875624__fromsearch__1

I have a few on my 240Z and they are great looking. Granted, I didn't stick them in their "original" locations, I got creative. ;)

936061254_4WcEH-XL.jpg

936061409_pmpx5-XL.jpg

936061697_ipxDe-XL.jpg

I also like the BRE "Datsun" rear spoiler decal, but as near as I can tell from the BRE website, that decal can only be purchased as a set of 3.

Gary,

It looks like you can get just the Datsun rear spoiler decal from BRE for $19.95 shipped http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=decal_240Z_rear_spoiler&Category_Code=decals_sub_240Z.

Am I making the badges out to be more of a nuisance than they really are? I ask this question because my car has needed paint since I purchased it 6 or so years ago, so I've yet to buff or wax it (paint is faded on the hatch, spider-webbed on the left 1/4 panel and driver's door, as well as the roof.)

I don't find it to be much of a problem. You can get some waxes that are clear and don't leave a white residue. You can also use a toothbrush or something like that to clean around them. I have even heard of some people taking them off to wax the car, but I personally wouldn't go that far.

-Mike

Edited by Mike B

7t1240, i got you covered!

dave c., thanks for the promo. to all whom are interested i contracted a local graphic design artist and graphic shop to produce a facsimile of our metal and plastic z emblems. they come in two flavors, chrome effect and black & white. see the link for the photos [side by side with actual emblems].

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/92784-s30-z-emblems-in-vinyl/page__p__875624__fromsearch__1#entry875624

the emblems i had reproduced are; hood badge, fender badges ['datsun script' and f'airlady z' as well as the '432' moniker], series 1 'b pillar' badge and for the hatch 'datsun and 240z'.

i can also run custom larger sizes as most of the graphics were designed at a high resolution, contact me for pricing.

reasonably priced at just $5 each, significantly less than oe badges. in fact, you could 'emblem' your z with my vinyl decals for less than the price of one oe elblem!

please feel free to contact me directly for additional info if needed.

many thanks

David Palermo just had a bunch made up and is offering them for sale here.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/92784-s30-z-emblems-in-vinyl/page__view__findpost__p__875624__fromsearch__1

I have a few on my 240Z and they are great looking. Granted, I didn't stick them in their "original" locations, I got creative. ;)

Dave C., thanks for the tip and the link, I checked out the thread on hybridz. (Your red car is such a pleasure to see. I got the same thrill from watching your startup video as I got from watching kats Z432 video!)

Gary,

It looks like you can get just the Datsun rear spoiler decal from BRE for $19.95 shipped http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=decal_240Z_rear_spoiler&Category_Code=decals_sub_240Z.

I don't find it to be much of a problem. You can get some waxes that are clear and don't leave a white residue. You can also use a toothbrush or something like that to clean around them. I have even heard of some people taking them off to wax the car, but I personally wouldn't go that far.

-Mike

Mike, thanks for the BRE link, I'm not sure why I couldn't find that individually. And yeah, maybe I'm making too much of an issue out of cleaning and waxing around these badges. On the other hand, as was pointed out in the hybridz thread, a new set of badges can be pretty spendy. Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, "How do you make a small fortune in collector cars? Start with a large one..."

7t1240, i got you covered!

dave c., thanks for the promo. to all whom are interested i contracted a local graphic design artist and graphic shop to produce a facsimile of our metal and plastic z emblems. they come in two flavors, chrome effect and black & white. see the link for the photos [side by side with actual emblems].

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/92784-s30-z-emblems-in-vinyl/page__p__875624__fromsearch__1#entry875624

the emblems i had reproduced are; hood badge, fender badges ['datsun script' and f'airlady z' as well as the '432' moniker], series 1 'b pillar' badge and for the hatch 'datsun and 240z'.

i can also run custom larger sizes as most of the graphics were designed at a high resolution, contact me for pricing.

reasonably priced at just $5 each, significantly less than oe badges. in fact, you could 'emblem' your z with my vinyl decals for less than the price of one oe elblem!

please feel free to contact me directly for additional info if needed.

many thanks

Hi Dave P. Looks like you have exactly what I was inquiring about. Now that I know they're available, I just have to decide how important it is to stay stock. But at the price you're selling them for, it would be hard to go wrong. Even if I do go with stock badging, your decals would look great on toolboxes, garage shelves facings, etc. Nice job on your part!

Gary S.

• 9 years later...

I am finishing my wife's 1971 240z and was wondering if anyone know if there was a decal below the tune up / emissions decal that had the weight of the car?  I have seen stickers for a 1972 and later Z cars but have not seen anything about a 1971 240Z to know if they had a sticker and what it is supposed to look like?  I know the 1971 is supposed to be around 2305lbs so that later stickers I have seen for 2700 lbs is for the 1972/73.  Anybody know more about this?