IGNORED

Z winter driving- bad idea or possible?

Panic.attack.77

So, here's my story. I'm a 40 year old college student living off of my student loans in N.E. Ohio- and my only source of transportation is my 77 4-spd. manual Z coupe. Could I get through the winter w/studded snow tires on the rear, Yokohama's on the front, kitty litter in the trunk ? Or should I put my Z rehab money towards an 8 cyl. towncar? I'm a seasoned winter driver: semi-trucks/V.W.beetles/motorcycles(ya know).. I've heard that nomatter how good of driver you are- or think you are, that these are not drivable in snow.. any truth to that?

:P

They drive like any rear-wheel drive sports car in the snow... put 4 snows on, a couple of sand bags in the hatch, and enjoy. Of course, if the car is lowered, make sure you're not the one opening the road after the fresh snow fall... I would suggest a good rust proofing too...

It's been so long since I've had a Z in the snow (or rain for that matter) that I don't really remember how bad they are in the snow. But there is a voice in the back of my head saying 4 or 5 inches is the practical limit. I was a college student the last time I drove a Z in the snow and I do remember having to ask my roommates for a ride to campus during snow storms.

I keep mine out of the wet not because of traction issues, but because I'd like to own it for many years without having to restore it.

Are you thinking of the town car because you can get a good deal on one? I would think they would be just as bad in snow but with more car to bounce off of things. I would think a front wheel drive car or 4 wheel drive vehicle would be better suited to that task. I agree with EScanlon, your biggest problem would be rust secondary to massive amounts of salt.

carl

Drove my Z through a blizzard in Minnesota and Northern Wisconsin the day I picked it up from the dealer in 1971. It also spent a couple winters in Kansas. Some of the best (intentional) parking lot "donuts" I've ever made on ice & snow were in the Z. It's a capable winter car.

The exposure to corrosive winter elements will be bad for your Z, however. If you plan to keep the Z, and have a little extra money, a sacrificial winter "Beater" isn't a bad idea.

Dennis

I know about that damn rust (should be a sin, afterall). I have about $700 to either put rockers and plug a hole on the passenger side of my Z or get a beater.. then no more money coming in until mid-February. I hate to put her in the snow, she's given so much and I don't want to hurt her anymore. I have found many older 4-door floaters on craigslist, and I know I could show up and get a runner for $450 or so.

Thanks for the input- I thought it would be possible, but wanted to confirm.