IGNORED

Speedometer driven gear

Doehring

Sorry, the search button didn't help me.

A former US soldier who served in Germany brought his Z to a german scrapyard some times ago.

I do not even know whether it was a 240 or a 260 as the car is in pieces now. I got a 5 speed tranny that I installed today and it works fine. As the speedo-adapter (or do you call it Assi Sleeve Speedometer ?) was not there I took the one from my original 4 speed tranny but the speedo cable doesn't turn. I think the gears do not even touch each other.

I looked at my microfiche and found positions 76 -83 but none of the listed parts numbers are available at Nissan here in Germany. Any help is appreciated.

Rolf

But you are very possibly correctin that the gears may not be touching each other. The different number of teeth dictacte a larger or smaller head size to incorporate the different number of teeth. You can turn the head in the tranny hole and cut another locking slot to keep it there.

It all comes down to how far your speedo is off and finding another driven gear with a different tooth count (same % difference), plug it in and go.

When I was looking for different ratios for the rear end I found this site helpful.

http://www.geocities.com/inlinestroker/ratio.html

There is some 5 speed id charts on the bottom of the page.

Good luck

BINGO BINGO BINGO

That gear chart at the very bottom with the tooth count and different colors is what you need. Figure out how far you are off with the tooth count you have and get the gear with the % change in teeth count to get you close. That way you don't have to know tire size, gear ratios, etc. None of that means anything. It's number of teeth and % change.

Gotta love the interweb......

Thank you all !

My Z is a late '71, so I think it's already the '72 version. It had originally the 4 gear tranny and a 3.54 diff. I now have installed a 5 speed tranny from - as I think - a 260 Z from the scrapyard, combined to a 4.11 diff.

With your help I now think I need the red cog - but how to get one ? Do you know a source or do you even have one for me ?

Thank you all !

My Z is a late '71, so I think it's already the '72 version. It had originally the 4 gear tranny and a 3.54 diff. I now have installed a 5 speed tranny from - as I think - a 260 Z from the scrapyard, combined to a 4.11 diff.

With your help I now think I need the red cog - but how to get one ? Do you know a source or do you even have one for me ?

Without knowing exactly how far off your speedo is, how can you arbitrarily say you need this or that gear? Remember tire size figures into the equation too.

Doehring, I also have a late model ZX 5-spd and an R 180 4:11 rear end. I was only able to find the red cog you need from www.zspecialties.com. Oliver( known on various Z websites as zmanofwashington) is a very knowledgable guy and very helpful. My speedo is very accurate as compared w/ a gps.

Cheers, Mike

A fact I missed until recently is also important. Study the picture on the inline stroker page that shows two gear carriers side by side.

There are two different gear carriers with 180 deg offsets to the through hole depending on which trans has the retaining bolt up or down. You have to use the one with the correct offset or no-gear-touchy!