IGNORED

BRE Spoilers and Spooks are back

ajmcforester

I spoke to Gayle via email, explained the concern and the site has been modified to the following:

"You've been asking for them and now they're available... our original BRE Datsun body parts as run on our Championship racers AND amazingly, made by the same company that made them for us originally in the '70s!

The rear spoiler featured on this BRE 240Z (highlighted in yellow above) is a direct copy of the rear spoiler BRE ran on their 1970-71 Championship 240Z racers and is designed to balance the affects of the front BRE air dam. It'll fit 1970-1973 240Zs.

Of course we had to also provide you the latest in technology. In addition to the original fiberglass body parts, we now offer them in carbon fiber. Be cool with either. Just select which you prefer when ordering. Carbon Fiber of course costs more and the drop down window will give you the addt'l charge for Carbon."

Nissan did have their own full-size wind tunnel at their Chuo Kenkyujo facility.

Alan, is this a photo of a protype Fairlady Z at the Nissan Chuo Kenkyujo wind tunnel? I assume it is a protype since there doesn't appear to be any badges on the hood or fenders.

-Mike

post-9102-14150811730718_thumb.jpg

gnosez,

I'm fairly sure that one was a purely American design. Certainly not a 'factory' / Sports Option part in Japan as far as I'm aware.

By late 1972, the Nissan works race cars in Japan were using the big three-piece rear spoilers, like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=37199&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1279496856

Not that it matters, but this is the same spoiler that currently resides on my 240z for the past 30+ years. It's huge....

Even though it seems tensions rises during these types of discussions, I still find the discussions to very interesting and thought provoking. My hat's off to all.... :)

**EDIT** Photo addition....

Edited by Z Speed

The Large three piece spoiler you have Z speed was based around the Trans AM/IMSA cars post 1973, and is an american part as far as I know. Although I am sure that the larger spoiler at that time might have been used and designed across several markets for racing.

I agree spirited debate is interesting, provocative and a great learning experience. I just don't care for members calling each other out on a public forum. I feel that we are gentlemen (and ladies), and we could be a little kinder to each other and still get our point across. Maybe I am just too picky...

Ron

Thanks Ron. I agree with your, "kinder" statement. I too try my best to adhere to that belief....

As for the spoiler, that statement is the best description I've heard. This car was setup (put together) in the early "70's) for local racing during that period. Besides the removal of the triple Mikuni's, (boy I wished I still had those) the car hasn't been altered from the original race form since that period. Thanks for the information. I always wondered about the spoiler on my car. I don't see many Z's running this particular unit....

Thanks for the input. Always appriciated....

**EDIT** The wheels where changed out as well.... :)

Edited by Z Speed

I have seen photos from the 1972/1973 time frame with the early fender flairs and this wing. Looks like it was also available in 72 in Japan, and like I said, it could have been used across several markets including the Japanese market.

These types of parts are designed and fabricated to fit certain rules based on a racing class, or classification. Does your car have fender flares too? If so it could be a late C production car. Do you have any racing history that goes along with this car?

My step father was a 747 pilot for Northwest Airlines and flew to and from Japan regularly during the 70's all the way up to the Delta merge. He was the original owner. He along with one of the managers of, what is now defunct; Downtown Datsun in Seattle built the car. He personally bought and imported many parts directly from Japan as he could just carry, what he bought, onto the plane during his trips....

I know the mirrors, spook, spoiler, fiberglass light buckets, and last but not least the light cover and chrome rings were brought over from Japan. From what he told me (he's passed on now) he also added Volvo needles to the SU's once he swapped them back in and sold the Mikuni's. I have never verified this. If they are they are still in there. The car has been sitting for many many years. When I got the car in the early / mid 80’s (can’t remember when it was passed on to me) I only drove it a few years then parked it. It’s been sitting in my garage ever since. I really want to do a full restore someday. I’ll need tons of help when I do.... :)

Off the top of my head, the only thing I've replaced on this car is tires, exhaust, mechanical oil pump, and little odds and ends. I know the motor was balanced and the motor mounts were redone after the stock ones broke pushing the fan into the radiator during a race. He use to race it a lot in the 1970-80’s at what was SIR at the time and now is called Pacific Raceways. I wish I could remember what class he raced in, but I do know it is no longer running for many years now. This was not a major competition car, but it has seen a whole lot of track time. ;) It has 98k org. miles....

The car does not have nor did it ever have any fender flares...

• 4 years later...

I ordered one of the rear spoilers and received it yesterday. I was wondering if others here have ordered this spoiler from BRE and if what they received was of the same finish as the one I received. I did speak with an individual at BRE and was told all the ones in stock look the same as the one I received. I have to admit I was a bit surprised at the lack of finish as I was expecting a ready to bolt on spoiler.

post-11611-14150830136417_thumb.jpg

post-11611-14150830137189_thumb.jpg

post-11611-14150830137755_thumb.jpg