IGNORED

Cracked plastic on radiator

ntomsheck

Hey guys, I just got a 260z running after it sat for who knows how long. If you've been following my other posts, you'll know that it came without the engine in it, and missing a good deal of parts. Not to mention, a lot of the parts that were there, are fairly damaged.

I put a garden hose in the radiator to flush out all the earwigs that have managed to make a home in it, and found out one of the plastic tanks (the bottom to be exact) has a crack in it. Water leaks out fairly quickly, so I can only imagine it under pressure. First question, how well do radiator stop-leak type products work on repairing holes in the plastic tanks? Would it hold it long enough while I sourced out a replacement? or would it blow instantly.

Second question, what type of aftermarket or OEM retrofit radiators are popular? I can't find a stock replacement radiator, and all the other radiators I have are far too wide to even fit in the engine bay. Are there any radiators from more recent datsun/nissan cars that fit without too much fuss? Or from any cars for that matter? Cheap is the idea, but new-aftermarket isn't off the table.

Thanks

Do NOT use any stop leak products in the cooling system. You'll only make a small problem into a big problem.

Check ebay or the online radiator vendors. I didn't know any z cars came with plastic end tanks on the radiators. Must be aftermarket. I have a perfectly good radiator I removed from my car but shipping costs for a radiator makes buying or selling a no-win situation.

Yeah, it seems like a fiberglass or composite almost. It's the type of plastic all the new intake manifolds are made out of. Speaking of fiberglass... what type of pressure does this radiator see, standard 7psi? I bet I could make a fiberglass end tank replacement...

The problem with ebay and online radiator vendors is that they all want $150+. The owner of this car is a cheap a$$. He paid me $100 to put the motor and trans in and make it run. I'd buy it from the guy, but I have too many bills haha.

Anyone know of any other vehicles that have close fitting radiators? I remember reading about a chevy radiator, but as for year make and model, I have nothing.

Edited by ntomsheck

almost all Z's (S30's) use the same style radiatro and mounting points, as far as i can tell. S30 radiators have No plastic. The Overflow is plastic, but that's about it. So filling the radiator should not cause the overflow to leak.

Are ya sure you have your terminology correct? Is it the Radiator or the plastic jug that leaks?

Dave

Haha I'm positive sir. The radiator is not even in the car, nor do I know where the overflow tank is - another part the previous owner lost. If the end tanks were metal, I would have welded it already and called it a day. I think it's fair to say the original owner replaced it at some point. What kind of seal do they use to hold the end tanks to the core? I see the metal tabs, but what kind of seal?

Edited by ntomsheck

Problem solved. I went over to the guys house who we are buying it from and he had the original radiator. It's a little beat up, but I leak tested it and it's holding water. Now I just need to focus on coolant hose routing haha.