IGNORED

retractable belts

zhead240

my 72z doesn't have retractble belts but it does have the pockets. the loose belt is a pain in the @ss. always digging them out from under the seat , sitting on them and worrying about them hanging out the door. i would like to install the retractable belts, would i have to drill holes to install them? could anyone post pics of their. i would only install retracting part and not the buckle part, is that ok?

Well there is plenty of options. You can ask if anyone has OEM retractor or used one. BUT dont order MSA belts as i did. They suck. If you have seatbelt warning, you'll lose that when changing to MSA. I didn't realize that when i ordered them. But they are bit safer than the originals if i got to say something good about them.

IF you deciede to order MSA belts, you dont need to drill any holes.

I also added OEM retractable belts to my 9/71 model which came with the pockets but without the retractors. I did not have to drill any holes. In my case the pockets have an extra bolt hole that was not being used and was sealed with a rubber plug. The non-retracting belt only requires one bolt per side but the retractor mechanism requires two.

If you do have to drill holes I'd be concerned about the safety. This is not just a hole in the sheet metal floorpan but a reinforced and threaded hole designed specifically to mount a seatbelt.

i'll check my pockets to see if they are setup for the retractors. i plan on getting an OEM unit with hardware included.

ps- any pics??

I don't have any pictures with me. I'll try to get some when I get home later.

Ok, here are some pictures. I'm not sure if they are helpful. First of all, my interior is non-standard as you can tell by the gray carpets, seatcovers, and vinyl.

The first picture has the driver seat slid all the way forward and tilted forward looking straight down on the retractor mechanism. You can see the outboard bolt under the retractor cover near the bottom of the picture. As I recall this bolt location is used by the non-retracting belts. Near the top of the picture is the extra bolt that you should have a plugged hole for in your pockets.

The second picture shows the driver side inside seatbelt buckle mechanism. Compared to the original lapbelt-only design this uses a stiff assembly that mostly stays in place. I believe this is required for a switch and the wiring that you see exposed in the picture - the dreaded seatbelt buzzer. Note that my wiring is not even hooked up - I don't know if I even have the required wires available.

The third picture is across to the passenger side retractor mechanism. Note that the shoulder belt does not retract. I just goes along for the ride when the lap belt retracts and extends. I believe later models had a retraction mechanism for the shoulder belt mounted near the roof pillar.

post-3294-14150811474653_thumb.jpg

post-3294-14150811475345_thumb.jpg

post-3294-14150811475916_thumb.jpg

I put retractable lap belts in my '73 and it had pockets for them. The P O may have removed them before I bought the car, it was a parts car for him. It is true that the lap belt has a ratchet type retractor and you need to extend it all the way out then connect it to the buckle. Rarely do I have to let the belt rewind and pull it out again. But what I did though is add a shoulder belt retractor, I think it was from a '75 280. This is a big improvement because this retractor is a inertia type that locks up if you pull it fast. If you want to change station on the radio or open a vent or what ever you can. But if you stop quickly it locks up and holds you in place. The latch from the 280 is different from the 240 so I just removed the stitching and used the 240 part and took the belt to a Shoe repair shop. They sewed it right over the old marks left from the previous stitching and you cannot tell it is not original. The retractor bolts in place right were the original one did.

This is good improvement.:bulb::bulb:

Gary

not sure if i'm looking at this right- but how come the driver side looks to be mounted vertical and the passenger side is mounted horizontal? shouldn't they both be mounted horizontal only mirrored?

know what i mean?

Here are some shots without carpet or seats, and the belt mechanisms separate. (from my parts car). The pics are of the drivers side.

The pics of the receiving end are well represented in MikeW's post.

The only thing I had that I don't see is the nylon strap that goes under the center console, and holds the two center receivers.

I hope this helps you out.

Dave

post-19508-14150811478689_thumb.jpg

post-19508-14150811479379_thumb.jpg

post-19508-141508115043_thumb.jpg

here are some pics.

what is the plug up top?

what are the wires on the passenger side?

The plug up top is just another floor drain plug. Not sure why they are up that high, but they are on my 72 also. Just leave that plug in place. The one to the side of the pocket is for the bolt that mounts the retractors.

Are you talking about the wires under the passenger side interior dog leg panel? That is just part of the rear wiring harness that runs back through the body (for taillights, antenna, defroster, etc.).

-Mike