IGNORED

Charging Issue away from Home

stevef1972z

Please take a moment and read. I am 17 miles from home and about the same from work. 1972 Z not charging. Very low battery level, not enough I think to get me to either destination.

What roadside repair can I look at? I have a basic cheap 99 piece tool kit, but no manual with me. Rather not put it on the hook.

Started going dead in a thunderstrorm with headlights and wipers (for what they are) on. Saw the negative guage reading and pulled over.

Suggestions please for a roadside possible save.

Thanks.

No good answers, I'm afraid. Sounds like your alternator has failed. If the battery is too low to make it home or to work with as little electrical load on as possible (all lights, wipers, fan, radio, etc off), towing may be your only option.

About the only thing you can do short of that would be to verify connections at the alternator and voltage regulator.

A well charged battery should get you more than 17 miles, especially with lights off. But perhaps you didn't catch it that soon.

That is the rub, I was making it through the t-storm and not watching guages. No hint I had a problem until it started to miss, with a full load, it was beating up the battery fast. I have the stock alt and voltage regulator set up. I knew I needed to upgrade, should have thought of it sooner.

To tow the 240Z do I need a flatbed or can it be done on a drag behind?

If you have AAA you can ask for a flat bed... generally the safest bet on ANY classic vehicle.

Alternatively, if the tow driver is knowledgeable, the Tow Dolly set up if used properly should cause no problems. You may want to have him lift the rear end and lock the steering wheel, although some outfits have the caster wheel set up for the wheels that stay on the ground and use a double bar lift to lift the TIRES and not the bumper. Then it doesn't matter which wheels are lifted.

But if the car is still running, aside from the discharge noted on the ammeter, drive it home and park it. Then take the alternator to a shop and have it tested.

FWIW

E

No tow needed. Took of all the connections, no problems there, re-installed, same problem. Decided to give it a couple whacks on the alt case. Bingo, jump start and it started charging. Positive charging now, should get to work and home, but then it is time for a new alt and voltage regulator!

Thanks for the comments.

Might want to go for this as long as you're thinking about replacing alternator and voltage regulator. It's $122 plus shipping.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SRC19/12-4068

It's Dave's adapter and a 60 amp Bosch alternator.

Got it, installed it and left the original regulator so it still looks kinda like stock.

More amperage, Plug and Play, and throws a charge at idle instead of having to rev to charge.

I also left the regulator mounted to the inner fender. With it there you really can't even see the regulator eliminator plugged into the harness. Makes for an almost invisible mod.

Even without using the plug and play option the 280zx alternator upgrade is cake. I had a wire break just before the connector so I just spliced everything together and added a diode.

I have got to retighten my belt, but it has worked well so far.