IGNORED

1971 type A tranny question/problem

Arne! You just scared the crap outta me! Those are unrestrained GEARS!!!! LOL
Yes, they certainly are.
Your counter shaft bearings are going bad, the later B type trans is much stronger.
I agree with both statements, but add the thought that for normal use, he Type A is probably strong enough for a stock L24-powered 240Z. An occasional auto-x or track day isn't going to kill it in short order, although the effects are probably cumulative.
I mean how hard can it possibly be to rebuild this tranny... its so simple.
You're right....it's just some seals and metal parts with teeth that fit together and a little lube. What could go wrong?
Yes and no.

It is a simple but fussy job if you have a very clean work environment, a FSM that covers the disassembly/reassembly process, and access to the various pullers and presses you will need. I don't find rebuilding a transmission all that difficult or scary. But many experienced mechanics shy away from them.

But even though it is a simple process, there are still plenty of things that can go wrong. I ended up having mine apart twice, due to me not replacing the woodruff keys that locate the drive gear on the countershaft. But once past that, the past two years have been trouble free, and the transmission is still as quiet as any Type A 'box. (That is to say, not all that quiet other than in top gear.)

I actually agree that the type A does not feel bad. Especially after I got my hardened shifter bushings.

I have a few months to think about this. I can still drive the car, but its time to start thinking of how I want to solve this problem. I think I want to find another Type A and then drop mine perhaps try to fix it. While I am at it I can put a new clutch in (obviously) and I may opt for a slightly lighter flywheel just to add some 'pep'.

I think I want to find another Type A and then drop mine perhaps try to fix it.
That's what I did. I already had a known good spare Type A, so I put it in the car while I rebuilt the original. The original has been back in the car for a couple of years now, and the spare is back in storage again. Allowed me to not be in a hurry to try to get it done so I could drive it. Because I get really antsy when I can't drive my car.

That's what I did. I already had a known good spare Type A, so I put it in the car while I rebuilt the original. The original has been back in the car for a couple of years now, and the spare is back in storage again. Allowed me to not be in a hurry to try to get it done so I could drive it. Because I get really antsy when I can't drive my car.

I just need to try to find a known good one...That is the catch. Datsun spirit has them for 1100+ dollars, but I would think their has to be some around cheaper than that.

1100 dollars ? why are they so much? I got my trans from a wrecking yard for 175.00 then had it rebuilt for 300.00 and put it in myself so is that 1100 the installed price for a rebuilt tranny ?

At least the type A 4 speeds are easy to find still. I failed at my attempts to give them away at a swap meet.
That's why I still have a spare. They have little value - unless someone like myself happens to be in need. And even then, no one wants to pay to ship one halfway across the country. I figured mine was worth more to me as a spare than it would be worth to ship it somewhere.

My personal vote would be to stick with the type A transmission. My car was already hacked up to accept a type B 4 speed, which I later swapped with a 5 speed.

I have a bent shifter, but the front edge of the center console still ended up shattered before I got the car. And it is a royal pain to take the transmission out because I have found no way to remove the shifter until AFTER I have it out of the car.

Don't even get me started about the high first gear ratio either.

Just my opinion...

I'd say the only downside to a 5 speed is that then you'll need to swap the diff as well. I just bought an 82 zx tranny and a 3.7. Not sure when I'll have time to put them in but I am looking forward to the change in performance.

I understand the desire to keep stock, but as stated above, there are many upgrades that the factory would have done if the technology had existed. I think what is important is that the mods are done well, without butchering the car. I hate to say it, but with rare exception the value in these cars lies in their value to us, not in what they fetch on the open market. So you might as well enjoy the most of what you have.

But once past that, the past two years have been trouble free, and the transmission is still as quiet as any Type A 'box. (That is to say, not all that quiet other than in top gear.)

So the "soft whine" I hear as I go thru the gears is normal for a Type A?

Not harsh or too loud.

If normal and not indicating any trouble brewing, I actually kinda like it.

It's makes driving my Z very distinctive and unique.

I've had three different Type A 4 speeds in my cars, and all three have a bit of gear whine in the lower three gears, even after all new bearings. I'd call that fairly normal. It should quiet down a lot in 4th gear.