IGNORED

1971 type A tranny question/problem

I have been noticing a strange noise coming out of my transmission. My car has 70600 miles on it, and it is a 1971 240Z with a type A tranny. IN all gears the thing seems very solid. However, when I put it into 3rd, it makes a distinct whine. This whine is only present when I give it gas. When I coast it is quiet. Not sure what this means exactly, but I would like to catch any major tranny failure before it happens so I still rebuild it. No other gear makes this noise. Just 3rd. I have replaced all of the engine/trany/dif mounts with OEM nissan parts. I did put the poly mustache bar bushings in though.

Any advice/hints would be great.

Right now I am thinking I want to keep the car original...so I may rebuild the 4 speed, or find another.. or maybe both. Although, the feel of the 5 speed is like a bolt action rifle compared to the 4 speed. I feel once I do a 5 speed swap, then that will open up the floodgates to MANY more mods. I like the OEM'ness of it all, and I am worried that a tranny swap would detract from the value....

something to think about.

I mean how hard can it possibly be to rebuild this tranny... its so simple.

I mean how hard can it possibly be to rebuild this tranny... its so simple.

You're right....it's just some seals and metal parts with teeth that fit together and a little lube. What could go wrong? Let us know how it turns out.

I recently swapped in a 5 speed after 39 years and a few professional 4 speed rebuilds. I kept the working 4 speed in case I want to switch back at some point and revel in the newfound pleasure of the extra gear.

While I understand, and appreciate, the desire to keep a car stock, I also appreciate upgrades and minor reversible modifications that add to the pleasure I get from driving my old friend.

Good luck with the rebuild!

Dennis

Your counter shaft bearings are going bad, the later B type trans is much stronger. I can understand your wanting to keep the car all original, but sooner or later you are going to have to ask yourself what is more important, an all original car you can't drive or a car that you have made all the proper improvements to correct what the factory already did on later model cars. Plus nobody is going to fault you for making the car better,and it wont detract from the value of the car. If you are worried save that trans, just don't use it for daily driving. I rebuilt my original trans twice before thowing in the towel.

DRAT, I was afraid of that. I guess I have some soul searching to do. Does the B type 4 speed use the same shift lever as the A type?

Time to start the research...

I figure if I can get 30000 miles out of my car with a rebuild then that should keep me going for the forseeable future.

What I am not understanding is why is it failing so much? Multiple failures would seem to indicate something else is worn out...

You're right....it's just some seals and metal parts with teeth that fit together and a little lube. What could go wrong? Let us know how it turns out.

I recently swapped in a 5 speed after 39 years and a few professional 4 speed rebuilds. I kept the working 4 speed in case I want to switch back at some point and revel in the newfound pleasure of the extra gear.

While I understand, and appreciate, the desire to keep a car stock, I also appreciate upgrades and minor reversible modifications that add to the pleasure I get from driving my old friend.

Good luck with the rebuild!

Dennis

I sense sarcasm here!

haha..

Actually upon looking at the 72Z manual for transmissions, I am not sure I can tackle this job, as I would need a Type A manual.

What is the best place to find a reliably rebuilt transmission?

Does anybody have any experience with ordering one?

The problem is on the early trans it's a three piece type, seperate bellhousing, gearbox and extension housing. Held togehter with long bolts so engine torque causes flexing of the gearbox which leads to bearing failure,espcially if you like to downshift.

B type is only two piece, bellhousing and gearbox are one unit, much stronger. So you have your choice 4 or 5 speed and better shifter linkage. I went with the four speed because at the time I could not find a good 5 speed and time was an issue.

I sense sarcasm here!

haha..

Ah, Zedyone Kenobi, you are wise beyond your years.

I'll tackle a lot of projects around the house and with my older cars. But, just like with root canals, I leave some jobs to the professionals. :)

Dennis

A Type A 4 speed is easily rebuildable. I've done it to the original in my car, rather than swap to either the spare Type A I have in storage, or a later Type B. Using a Type B in your car will require a modified Type B shift lever, or enlarging the hole in the tunnel, your choice.

Side note - while lots of people complain about the feel of the Type A linkage, None of the three I've had felt bad at all.

post-8596-14150811051656_thumb.jpg

post-8596-1415081105196_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150811052194_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arne