IGNORED

Which Power Bleeder?

steve91tt

I am looking for a way to bleed my brakes without resorting to the old 2 person pump and wrench technique. From what I have read on this forum the Potive Products Power Bleeder looks like a good way to go.

Does anyone know if the Power Bleeder "Round Universal Bleeder 0101" will fit a 240Z? The application chart says that it should fit but I wanted to hear from someone who can attest to how "universal" this unit really is.

I used to have a hand pumped vacuum style brake bleeder until the pump died. (I can not remember the brand.) Then I bought an Air Vac from Harbor freight, which is really intended for AC work. I changed some fittings around and use it with the brake fluid jar from the hand pump style bleeder. It works great.

(You do need an air compressor however.)

Mostly the vacuum bleeders work by pressing a rubber hose over the bleeder valve's nipple, so basically any bleeder should work on any car. (So long as the bleeder valves have a hose bulge, which nearly all of them do.)

I've used a vacuum bleeder but not been happy with the results. I found it hard to avoid sucking in air from around the bleed fitting. The Power Bleeder is better because it uses positive pressure from the MC end thus forcing new fluid through the system...or that's the theory anyway.:)

I simply use a plastic bottle with a magnet attached to it so I can attach it close to the wheel I am working on. I use a length of vinyl tubing that will just fit over the nipple of the wheel cylinder bleeder. I put a little brake fluid in the bottle, just enough to cover the end of the tubing so air cannot enter. I just open the nipple on the cylinder and then push on the brake peddle. You can push it down and let it up because no air can flow back into the tubing. I usually pump the brake peddle four times then refill the master. When no bubbles are seen in the tubing and or if the fluid is clear if you are just flushing things . Close the nipple and go to the next wheel. Simple easy to make . Actually I bought one at Harbor Freight for a couple of bucks and it works great. It has a small bottle though but it is large enough to bleed one wheel usually.

I flush my brake fluid every other year just to keep the moisture out . Much cheaper than new cylinders. LOL I used to do brake work for a living years ago and used the pressure bleeders , they are quick and do a good job. This little system works just as good , but is some what slower and a whole lot less costly.

Gary

Edited by beandip
additional info.

I have the earl's solo bleeders, which is probably in the thread referenced earlier. I also use this. Use a longer hose and a bench to set it on and you can watch for air in the line. Works just like beandips only bigger.

solobleeder.jpg

I use a MityVac, it's the cheaper plastic-bodied one that comes with a set of adapter plugs. It took a while to figure out the best way to use it, but I bled my master cylinder and all four corners with no problems once I figured out the best tricks.

1) use five or six pumps of the vacuum mechanism, not the 10 to 12 stated in the user's manual. Too much vacuum causes the machine to tend to pull air through the fittings.

2) smear the bleed screw threads and the bleed nipple where the nylon tube connects with bearing grease to seal things up. Obviously don't let it get on friction surfaces. Works really well to prevent the machine from pulling air through the threads.

3) keep several sizes of nylon tubing handy, it really makes a difference to use almost undersize tubing that stretches around the bleed nipple and it may require more than one size if you get rebuilt calipers like I did and each one has a different bleed screw size.

The MityVac and all the nylon tubing i bought totalled about $50, so it was a very good investment. One-man bleeding that's fairly clean. Works great for the clutch cylinder, too :)