IGNORED

Looking for 240z. Does this sound right?

II REDLINE II

Hello, I'm new here. Me and my father are looking for a 240z to buy. We are looking for Z's in the area. We recently came across a 1973 240z for 11,000$ with 76K miles on it. It has a few upgraded items and I was wondering if they were proper upgrades or if I should look somewhere else. The other thing is, it has an Electric start switch that was placed in order to start easier. If I did purchase, should I keep this or should I remove it? Does it serve in any beneficial way? Thanks for your help!!!

Does this sound right? Sellers Description:

There are not many rust free 1972 cars are out there. --underbody seams are sealed. A responsibly improved classic! I have it insured for $15k. Going up in value every yr. This is a professionally restored and modernized 1972 Datsun 240Z , left hand drive. Except for the bolt-on airdam, the body is unmodified. Odometer currently shows 76, xxx miles. I have every reason to believe that is the correct mileage. NO RUST! repainted 4 yrs ago in the original orange-red color, black interior, new carpet, NO dash cracks, UPGRADED for safety and performance: headers, front air dam, 2 piston brake calipers, 2.8L engine , transmission (economical 5 speed 280zx), differential (sporty, stronger R200 3.9), twin carbs (Ztherapy SU mod.), Mallory electronic ignition (for reliability, easy cold starts, and fuel economy), and a switch operated auxillary electric fan. electric antenna. Dealer A/C minus the compressor, (they are available). This is fun to drive! It's not an average 240Z. In my opinion and other z club members, my 240Z will run circles around the 240z that sold at the Barret Jackson Auction for $11,500. Drive it to work, and do a track day when you want. This 240z has been garaged and driven once a week for the last 3 yrs. My daily driver is a twin turbo 300zx. I have a race car that I get lots of track time in. But I did one track day with this 240z and was very pleased with it. At 120 mph, this 240z ran rock solid, straight and true. For a car built to be a reliable daily driver I was really quite impressed. turns heads everywhere it goes. I hate to sell it but am getting another car and have run out of room in the garage. I don't want to park this beautiful car outside. You get a choice of 14 inch wheels: Libre alloys, ZX "cross" alloys, or true 1972 Minilites. I sold the slotted set in the pic. I also have 15 inch 1984 wheels. I got this car from a collector. NOTE: the pics taken on an overcast day are too red. This is a common delima with the 1972 "orange-red" paint. In the dash, directly in front of you, on the left, is a large 8 grand tach, on the right 160 mph speedometer. To your right, center top of the dash above the AM/FM radio, are coolant temperature, oil pressure, fuel, ammeter and clock. NO RUST! FAST! FUN! RELIABLE! GOING UP IN VALUE! Recently front wheel bearings and races replaced, rotors turned and compression check was good cylinder psi: 175 165 170 170 170 175 leak down %: 10 10 14 16 10 10 Below 20 is acceptable.

Edited by II REDLINE II

Sounds like the price is kinda high for what it is. I haven't been looking, but I would expect to pay $5000 for a car fitting that description. An all original perfectly restored car would be a lot more, as might be a really modified car, but those are all your pretty standard modifications as far as drivetrain are concerned. They make the car more driveable but probably hurt its value with collectors. The odometers only have 5 mile digits, so that 76K could be 76, 176, 276, etc.

I think the button start is probably because that's popular. The ignition cylinders are a weak spot, but going with a button was probably done because it looks cool.

I have to agree with Jon. For 11,000 I think you can do better. It does look like its in good shape but I would want something more original for that money. Yes, he has swapped an engine from a 280z (2.8liters) for the original 240z engine (2.4liters). There is nothing special about the car. All of the modifications are ones that can be done and have been done to z cars. In some of the pictures, the drivers seat is a light color. I would assume it is a seat cover??? The only way I would believe it has only 76,000 miles on it would be if it is well documented. Otherwise, in a car with a different engine, built to be a daily driver or a track car, I would think 176,000 is more likely. These are just my opinions. If you have the money and you like the car as it is, then it seems like a good car. If you are thinking of something that will increase siginificantly in value, I don't think it is original enough. Good luck with your decision. Hopefully, some more people will chime in with different opinions. Let us know what happens. :)

carl

After seeing the pictures, I'll agree with comments above. The car is a tad overpriced. Did any of you notice the write-up saying the tach was on the left and speedo on the right???

If I were buying, $8K would be my top.

It's nice, but for $11K I expect to see near perfection. That is a good clean car with a value of around $5k. Looks like he's a "Z-Guy" (lots of other Z's in the pictures) so my guess is you wont be able to talk him down to a reasonable price.

There are others out these, so keep looking. If your budget is $10+, don't except anything less then a very clean car. Then again, if you're in love with that car, it's worth what ever you want to pay. Just don't expect to get you money back out of it.

Just to add my two cents, Z's in the SE are getting harder to find in rust free shape. If this one has no rust, and the motor and other mechanicals are as advertised, it will get that price I imagine. Personally, for me in this area I would expect near that price for this car. If I had it to spend, I would jump on it if you declined. Try offering $9,000 if it all pans out the way he says.