IGNORED

rear wheels stuck

broken74

Hi guys,

I recently tried to move my 260 that had been sitting for quite some time in the garage. Turns out I have no clutch pressure and the car won't budge. The master isn't leaking so I'm thinking that the diaphragm in the slave has gone. The real question I have is why the rear wheels won't budge. I jacked up the car and beat on the drums for a bit, thinking maybe the shoes had stuck themselves to the drum. That didn't fix anything. I also thought that maybe the wheel cylinder had gone on one side as I had to replace one side quite a while ago and didn't opt to replace both at the same time. I've heard this will sometimes cause the opposing side to go on older cars. Wouldn't that cause a lack of brake pressure though and free it if anything?

thanks for any help,

Brian

when I went to pick up my 240 that was sitting in one spot for YEARS, it had the same issue.. The drums had oxidized into the shoes. Three guys pushing like mad got it to start rolling, then we were able to get to the drum into the right location to release the adjuster.

I have also had a frozen slave cylinder that had to be released in the same way (it would only expand).

I recently went through a stuck brake drum on a '71 that sat for 16 years. The tow guy pulled it on the flatbed with a winch and it still didn't break loose. Slid it in my garage and I tapped and pried, finally heated the drum with a propane torch and with a long pry bar was able to move the drum enough to line up the adjuster hole with the adjuster on the wheel cyl. Backed that off and finally was able to remove the drum. The PO had left the parking brake on and the shoes were rusted to the drum, plus the wheel cyl was stuck. There are other threads on here that give more ideas and experiences.

dclamm, you about covered it. Other than what you did , you can brake the aluminum drum and take it off in bits.

Been there, done that. These pics are from my '75 Z that sat for about 10 years in a damp barn. I tried everything prior to cutting, but it just wasn't going to budge.

DSC_1156.jpg

DSC_1157.jpg

DSC_1160.jpg

This sounds too familiar. My 72 had a similar ( not that fatal) operation with brakes. Mechanic spent 2 hours opening passenger side rear drum. Eventually he had to drill that adjust hole a bit bigger but that's no problem. I had changed master and slave cylinders for clutch and it works perfectly now. Shifts like a new car.

same story here, picked up the 260Z from the PO and the left rear was stuck. Towed it home with dollys on the rear. Took the dollys off the rear and pushed it backward into the driveway. Couple times of forward and backward to get her lined up in the driveway actually broke it loose. Lined up the hole and loosened the adjuster to get the drum off.

try this thread for adjuster info.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32303