IGNORED

Looking To Buy 240Z...What To Look For.

Bates

Looking at the interior photos, and just speculating, the passenger side floor looks like there might have been a repair made at some point, hence, the black spray/sealant. Another thing to consider is, if you were to ever try and prepare those floors for some additional protection with a product like POR-15 or equivalent, once you start chipping away at the +30 year old sound deadening you will most likely find some rust hiding underneath. Its just the way it is. I've seen much worse examples with floors so rusted you could pull a fred flintstone.

Like another member mentioned, the rear end looks like it has had a collision at one point or another that was never really repaired or repaired poorly. You can see it clearly based on the bumper deformation, rear tow-hooks, hatch alignment, and lower valance deformation.

And whats up with the interior? Where are the door panels? Whats going on with the electrical wiring on steering column?

Those can be fixed cheaply and in stages....its the body work and rust that will haunt you in your sleep. I personally would be concerned with what that paint is hiding. It looks pretty bush-league to me. Lots of overspray like someone else mentioned.

HOWEVER, like I said earlier, thats a pretty good looking Z for the east coast and its a fair price for what it is (based on pictures). I would haggle for $4500.

Looking at the interior photos, and just speculating, the passenger side floor looks like there might have been a repair made at some point, hence, the black spray/sealant. Another thing to consider is, if you were to ever try and prepare those floors for some additional protection with a product like POR-15 or equivalent, once you start chipping away at the +30 year old sound deadening you will most likely find some rust hiding underneath. Its just the way it is. I've seen much worse examples with floors so rusted you could pull a fred flintstone.

Like another member mentioned, the rear end looks like it has had a collision at one point or another that was never really repaired or repaired poorly. You can see it clearly based on the bumper deformation, rear tow-hooks, hatch alignment, and lower valance deformation.

And whats up with the interior? Where are the door panels? Whats going on with the electrical wiring on steering column?

Those can be fixed cheaply and in stages....its the body work and rust that will haunt you in your sleep. I personally would be concerned with what that paint is hiding. It looks pretty bush-league to me. Lots of overspray like someone else mentioned.

HOWEVER, like I said earlier, thats a pretty good looking Z for the east coast and its a fair price for what it is (based on pictures). I would haggle for $4500.

The interior is not finished. And I plan on throwing out 4-4.2k bringing to attention the rear end of the car, the cut rear bumper, the stupid sun roof, and a few other things. If I can get it for 4.5k I will be happy.

Ok went to look at the 240Z today. It was pretty damn nice. No serious rust spots, what I found I took pictures of. The car started up and drove great. It shifted nice and just overall ran perfect. The interior needs a lot of work and car does need to be repainted, the sunroof does not leak, and the car never sees rain as it is always in the garage. All the pictures in the following album are what I took today. I really really like this car and hoping you guys do too. If you guys give me your approval then I am going to go back to the guy with around 4K+ in cash and see if he takes it, I don't want to pay 5k for it.

Check out the album. Lots of pictures.

http://picasaweb.google.com/111583088159390630533/240z#

... It has been upgraded with a 75' L28 block and N42 head shipped in a crate from Japan around 1990...

Am I the only one that finds this to be a dubious claim on the part of the seller? That would be like someone offering to sell me a Big Mac saying it was special because it was shipped to Texas from Seattle... I can go down the street and get a Big Mac, why the hell would someone go to the trouble of shipping one thousands of miles?

Edited by Inf

Cleaning up that crappy paint job will be hella expensive if you want it done decently. The heater core is bypassed, which means the heater core and/or the control valve in the car probably leaks. If the seller didn't tell you about that, price needs to come down. It does appear to be relatively solid, though.

Price is hard for me to judge. Here on the West coast that's probably at most a $3000 car, and there's generally a couple like that for sale within driving distance of most any where within California, Oregon and Washington. But back East? In NJ? I understand they're much harder to find back there, so the price is probably not too far out of line.

In sum, if you are looking to have a clean 240z to drive, it will take some work and money, but looks like it may be a solid start. If you are looking for a car to restore towards original condition, I'd keep looking.

Edited by Arne

Been talking it over with my mechanic friends, and we did find more surface rust, as you can see in the pictures and some rust hidden under the paint (in the door sill areas in the first few pictures), but I know people who can take care of that for me no problem. The interior needs the most work but I already knew that. I think I am going to be buying this car, I need to look at a few more things, but I think by next week this car will be in my drive way.

I would caution that any 'little' surface rust on the outside is more than likely large rust on the inside and might be very expensive to repair. But if you plan on doing rust repair and paint in the near future, know it is not going to be cheap unless you can do all the work yourself or have a very very good friend. Just depends on how much money you want to put into it. But again I have not seen it in person and the decision is up to you.

The car looks like a $5k car on the east coast, but I agree that the paint isn't good and it's hiding quite a bit. If you want a car that you can drive as-is, this is a good choice. If you are planning on repainting it after you buy it, you could start with a cheaper car that will likely need the same amount of bodywork. You WILL find rust areas that need repair on this car. The paint has too many tell tale signs of underlying issues.