IGNORED

What Next?

JohnnyO

I am wondering what to do next. My car is back from the body shop, it has been jambed and I am in the process of dropping the engine back in and putting the doors, hatch and hood back on. I wonder what needs to be done before it goes back to get the top coat.

Do I install my weatherstrip and seals now or do I wait until after it comes back with the top coat?

Should I install the brake lines and fuel lines?

What about door/hood/hatch latches?

My paint guy is out of town for 3 weeks and I want to have the car ready when he gets back.

Thanks,

John

It's my understanding you want to leave everything off including doors, hood and hatch when painting the car. Especially the engine if your painting the engine bay. Certainly leave off the weather stripping or else the paint will get sprayed on top of it and eventually start flaking off the car around the edges of the weather stripping. That is why it's best to always take all the windows out before painting a car, any auto glass installer will tell you the same :) . If you really must do something do a pre fit and make sure all your body panels line up correctly like the gaps and stuff. Easier to address those issues and tweak whats needed before the parts are painted.

Edited by WingZr0

Agreed.

And besides, wouldn't you want that extra layer of protection laid down "underneath" all that weatherstripping?

Seeing as you've got this much work into it and hopefully will never see those flanges again.

Couldn't hurt to have that additional coat.

Not sure if you can tell from my avatar, but the entire car was stripped to bare metal and the interior, engine bay, wheel wells, window recesses and under side have all been painted already. I've attached some pictures to give you an idea of where I am at.

I guess I am just wondering what a body shop would expect when bringing it back in. My painter told me to drop in the engine, restore the suspension and put the body back together.

I just dont know what "Put the body back together" includes and he is now in Hawaii for the next 3 weeks and cant be reached.

Thanks,

John

post-17819-14150810185222_thumb.jpg

post-17819-14150810185673_thumb.jpg

post-17819-14150810186115_thumb.jpg

post-17819-14150810186532_thumb.jpg

Now we see your point, good question. At this point his job should be done right? Does he plan to buff it out? Maybe you should take him at face value and start re assembly then, call my body guy who also paints Z's at 530 632 7447 and see what he can tell about the process. Tell him Isaiah sent you :) .

Edited by WingZr0

At most, I'd give him a rolling chassis. No engine or tranny, worn-out tires on scrap wheels, no glass, no weatherstripping, no interior of any sort, except for the steering wheel. No brake lines, fuel lines. The e-brake should be sufficient for him to stop the car while rolling it around in his shop.

But of course, I'm a hard-arse. ;-)

Thanks for the replies. He wanted the engine in so that I wouldn't ding the body up after it was painted. I was thinking that it would be a heck of a lot easier to get the brake and fuel lines in before the engine, tranny and rear diff.

He mentioned using some type of seam bead that gets closed in all the hood, hatch and door cracks. He described it as a foam bead strip. I think he said it is made by 3M.

I think your painter is expecting to see the brake/fuel lines in place as well as the engine. I don't think it is crucial to have any of this done first and would be your call. After all, he is working for you, right. He is just concerned about his work being damaged during re-assembly.

Have the undersides of the hood, hatch, or inner periphery of the doors been painted yet? It would be preferable before hanging them but not nessesary. You decide if it is more important to paint these areas while off the car, so a better job can be done, or after being hung, which is easier for him. I wouldn't put any weatherstripping or glass on the car untill the painting is completely done. Whatever is installed will have to be masked off before any further painting is done. Hawaii hey? Lucky dog!

He is just concerned about his work being damaged during re-assembly.

Absolutely. He already told me that for 5 grand you don't get free touch-ups if it's not his fault. He does nice work and apparently quoted me too low, at least that's what he has eluded to. But he is honoring his quote and doing a great job so far.

Have the undersides of the hood, hatch, or inner periphery of the doors been painted yet?

Yes, the underside of the hood and hatch, inside of doors, engine bay wheel wells, underside and inside of the car have been painted. It just needs the outer base/clear coats and buffing at this point.

I can't wait and don't want to hold him up.

I think that you seem to agree with me. I should put the car together without weatherstrip and strikers and bring it back to him to let him finish it his way.

Thanks Ron.

John

He must be bagging it on the beach!:D

Yes, and my wife brings up the fact that if it wasn't for the Z we could be on the beach in Hawaii right now. She just doesn't get it.....:stupid:

Thanks again.

P.S. The 5 grand did not include ANY materials except sand paper and sweat. I even bought the lint free towels and wax and grease remover. Add all my paint and supplies in and I am well over $6500. Still a deal for a 30 year veteran.

Edited by JohnnyO