IGNORED

Bushing project this summer

Pilgrim

So, my '83 280ZX Turbo deserves (and needs) new front end bushings after 27 years.

I've bought the Energy (black) poly bushing package for the front end, and I was relieved to see that it wasn't all packaged in one big box, but came in a set of packages, each labeled for the specific application (anti-sway bar, etc.). That will help me to do the front end over 2-3 weekends, choosing which set of bushings I want to replace each time. And I won't be shy about taking press-fit parts to a machine shop. I have no interest in burning out old bushings.

I also replaced the steering rack @3 years ago and noticed that the rubber bushings for the rack were pretty mushy from oil - so I just ordered replacement steering rack bushings, which were delightfully cheap - a bit under $10 each!

I already have Tokico shocks installed, so that part of the suspension renewal is fine. Springs are good. When I'm done, everything should be tight!

It's still cold here, but that's my summer project - and I'm looking forward to the result.

Any advice or comments are welcomed.

Think about doing it yourself. I replaced the entire suspension and steering on my shiro. That included burning out some bushings. I was a little uncomfortable w/ the MAPP gas at first but everything turned out well. I took something small...I dunno...maybe ball joints or t-rod bushings, to a shop to have pressed out and they quoted me $75. I said no thanks and went and got a loaner tool at autozone.

Like Pop's Z said, the rear is important too. I don't remember much about s130's but it is probably a little harder like most cars. It's a good time to fix any rust issues and repaint too. I discovered my diff mount was about to go out when I was doing the rear. A new one was ~$200 so I made this instead:

difmount_01.jpg

Better and cheaper too.

What about the rears? The car might seem a bit unbalanced w/o doing them' date=' too. If you need help give me a call 204-4927.

Cheers, Mike[/quote']

Thank you! I may refer back to this thread when I get around to doing the work. I haven't ordered parts yet, but I probably will after I get the front end done. It's the urgent need.

Edited by Pilgrim