IGNORED

Fuel Tank

sekjr

Going thro my Z I replaced the fuel pump and got ready to pressurize, but the tank was empty, so I poured 2 gal in... only to find it all over the floor.

I had pinholes in the tank.... THAT's why there was no gas in the tank...

So - do I patch it? or buy a new tank?

Where do I get a tank... No sites on the internet that come up have one...

As far as I know, no one makes tanks for Z's anymore. Had a severe rust issue in mine and searched high and low for a new tank without any luck. Took it to a local radiator shop to have it repaired. In your case, you may have to search out a quality used one. Let us know what you find!

I'm a 240Z guy, but I haft to agree I don't think they make them anymore. What I'd do is clean it inside and out as good as you can and take it to someone with a dip tank to remove any rust. Good places to find a dip take are some radiator repair shops or a restoration shop. Then see what you got. If you got Swiss-cheese, and the holes are small a exterior sealer paint might work. If the holes are in one or several small areas consider patching the tank with new metal. The tank liners work for a while then start to come apart over time personally I have 2 good tricks to keep rust out.

If you need a new tank look in Arizona usually the tank stay solid their. That Arizona Z car source might be a good bet, I don't use them much anymore their prices when up a lot over the last 2-3 years

My tank anti-rust tricks:

Anytime the car sits fill the tank up, full tank = less oxygen to oxidize metal. When I change the oil I ad one court of non-detergent straight weight oil to a half tank of gas and take it for a short drive (make sure you are sloshing the tank) and then fill it up. Do not use any oil that has detergents it will cause major problems. The little bit of oil has never caused a problem I've done this on every vehicle I've had with a metal tank including fuel injection cars. When I talked to my cars original owner he told me his mechanic would do this (he found out when he asked about why he got blue smoke the day after he got it back from him) the original tank does not have a drop of rust in it and the fuel lines I can't see any internal rust the metal is shinny like you want to see. The only downside is you get a little blue smoke for a tank of gas, but I really only see it when the choke is on. Burning a little oil like that isn't bad Honda designed their engine to leak a little oil onto the pistons to oil the rings for cold starts.

• 3 weeks later...
i looked into this place after reading about them on some site (could have been here, sorry can't remember):

http://www.gas-tank.com/

seem to be reasonably priced for the work they do and from the reports I read, do excellent work.

Neat business the only things I didn't like is they stated sand blasting and they didn't tell you what sealer they use. I'd like to see a less aggressive media used first, and I would ask about the sealer that was mentioned. I'm glad to see people like that are still around I'll remember this one for when I need to take a tank in for repair:classic: