IGNORED

New Cam Profile

Diseazd

I'm looking for ideas for building a regrind cam that will work with the stock Z valve train (springs, seals etc.) I know I'm going to make it a .460 lift, but looking for suggestions for duration. I know that Scheinider builds a cam with 270 intake and 280 exhaust and .460 lift......anyone had experience with that cam? I do want a regrind for longevity however. Also, does anyone have experience with Cam Techniques in Florida? They supposedly built the cams for Bob Sharpe. Any ideas on what I should use on this custom cam would be appreciated. It should be nice to pick up some pop without the hassel of springs and seals for a street driven car.

It should be nice to pick up some pop without the hassel of springs and seals for a street driven car.

I would suggest that it isn't worth the effort. Do a bigger cam, pay for the springs (seals are $20 if you use the Ford seals on hybridz) and you'll get a result that is actually worth the effort of installation. That's just one opinion...

I tend to agree with Jon. If your going to the expense and effort of a new cam and rockers, get the grind that is best for the application and replace springs and seals too. As far as Cam Techniques goes, yes, he made cams for Sharp and yes they do a good job. I have used him for several cams and have been very happy. Not sure what options he has for street cars.

Mike

If you are going with new springs, Isky has a "268/Mechanical" grind that has very good street manners.

Adv Duration: 268

.050 duration: 232

Lift: .480, actual installed lift on my motor was .497

intake open/close: 23/65

exhaust close/open: 65/23

overlap: 46

LSA 111

It is very similar to the Isky L-480, except the overlap is less, 46 versus 62, and the LSA is 111, instead of 109. .050 duration matches that of the L-480.

- Mike

I've got two L28'S with L-490 grind and one L-24 with the L-480 grind. I've got several E 31 heads that I thought I'd create a cam that required less investment but still gets some pop, but Jon and Mike are right, I would still need new rockers so I wouldn't really be saving a lot. I know Schnieder makes a .460 lift 270 intake and 280 exhaust.......wondering if anyone can comment on that cam's performance. Isky charges $250.00 to set up your own profile and just thought I might create something fun (just mild street). Guy

It's too bad Crane Cams don't grind anything for the Datsun anymore. I know they will work perfectly with stock springs.

The previous owner of my car, and the shop (Whitehead Performance), both speak highly of these cams. Unfortunately they went under awhile ago, and have recently been bought out. They do not currently grind Datsun cams anymore, but "will consider it if there is enough demand". I would guess the cost (new) to be 350.

My car went to the shop awhile ago and the needs a new cam, among some other things. Fortunately, the shop had a used spare [crane] cam, identical to the one that I am replacing. If you do somehow wind up with a crane cam, do not use stiffer springs below 500 lift. It is not required, will cause it to wear prematurely, and you "will not see any gain in performance". This is why I am currently replacing my cam.

I don't have the model number. It's a "mild cam" in an NA L28, with a soon-to-be-measured (but slight) bore, driven 98% street.

Edited by fiveleaf