IGNORED

WILD Z on ebay

IdahoKidd

I think his original thinking went along the lines of the Toyota Supra (front end) or the Knight Rider Firebird.

The rear end looks like it was modeled after an amalgam between a Chevy Camaro late 70's and the tail end from the Corvette in Corvette Summer.

The interior is decidedly unique. I would replace those monster speakers in the back with a spare tire woofer and a couple of directional 3-way's on top of the struts.

The hatch treatment was considered a bit drastic, even back in the day, but was modeled after the Ford Pantera (if memory serves, if not please correct me).

The spoiler is a different addition, but interestingly it fits in with his overal theme.

The body kit (side skirts, front and rear air-dam) is generic enough to either actually be an aftermarket kit, or an adaptation / copy of one. The same applies to the wheel flairs.

While his overall theme seems coherent, he does attempt too much too quick. The dash is a good example of poor planning/execution.

All in all it looks as though it was either a) I bet you we could make a real cool car... or

B) the car's a rust bucket, let's cut out the rust and see what we can make it into.

E

I personally agree with Arne & EScanlon's comments, dead on. I think if you look closely you'll see he's done a good job on the exterior bodywork. It flows well for what it is until you get to the tail end (just my opinion), and even thats fixable, it's all fixable. This forum is a testament to what's fixable, roofs, frames, and whole sections of bodywork. And is'nt that really the point here. Despite what others thought and advised someone saw things different, did their thing and fixed it/modded it, whatever. I see it this way as car enthusiasts we are all bonded by two inherent constants, money and time. After that it's easy, just execute the vision. I looked at my receipts today (wife wasnt here) with a Beam on ice in one hand, one eye open, cringed, and then found something else "I have to have and/or do". Now excuse me while I go look at a small hole in my frame rail found when my rachet slipped.

I find it hypocritical that many of the same people that constantly advise new members to do with their own cars as they see fit, would have a hard time, if not accepting this, at least not vilifying it.

I think some people just don't want to see ANYTHING criticized. Criticize analytically, and I'll agree with any valid criticism. There was a car on hybrid Z a week or so with the floor pan about 1" off the ground and I caught a lot of flak for criticizing the fact that it was dangerous it because "the owner had a goal and he realized it." My criticisms weren't about his goal or whether he had realized it. They were about the safety and functionality of what he had done. Likewise someone could criticize my race car project by saying that the spring rate used will be so stiff that it would likely cause you to wizz blood if you took it on a cross country road trip. Valid criticism. Not what I built it for, but I shouldn't argue against reality. Now that that's out of the way, here is my analytical criticism of this thing: I can't tell what exactly he did with the "roll bar" but it doesn't look built to any standard of safety that I'm aware of. It looks really really really really bad from a technical perspective, like someone had a bent piece of pipe and welded it to frames on either side to create a main hoop. Main hoop should be one piece of tube that has 4 bends not exceeding 180 degrees and needs to be DOM to fit the regs for most racing organizations

Edited by jmortensen

I just don't like it. That's all there is to it. I'm allowed to say that. That's my opinion. If someone else does like it, that's their opinion. It really doesn't need to go too much beyone that. Let's not fall victim to 'paralysis by analysis' here.

I'm afraid I have to pile in with the "Oh my god!" camp. Updating the working parts of the car is fine where necessary. Radical mods are fine, as long as they're reversable and the old parts are saved/preserved. However, I can't help but wince when I see the original body (whose parts are rare and precious) so thoroughly mangled. At some point you have to "respect the antique." This project could have been attempted with some less collectable, more recent car whose parts are in more abundant supply. Why sacrifice an S30 -- unless as Enrique suggests, the car is a dented, rusted heap to begin with?

I just don't like it. That's all there is to it. I'm allowed to say that. That's my opinion. If someone else does like it, that's their opinion. It really doesn't need to go too much beyone that. Let's not fall victim to 'paralysis by analysis' here.

Beauty is subjective. I was referring to objective criticisms with my post. There's no accounting for taste.

I think the problem that most of us have is that we all appreciate the Z and think that it should hold it's place in the Pantheon of classic cars. However, there are so many people out there who buy one of our "babies" just to learn how to bondo fiberglass onto it and live out their redneck fantasies. I mean, look at the trailer/house in the background.

Before you flame me, my parents live in a trailer, and I'm a self professed redneck. Anyone who knows me would agree, so I'm calling out my own here. Kinda like how black guys can say the N word and it somehow be OK.

Anyway, that's the beef here. There's no real respect for the Z when a car is modded like this. It's just a cheap canvas. Nothing about this car pays homage to the Z.

That's why I don't buy the "some man's dream" thing. Yes, it was. But it was some man who raped up one of our beloved Z's because that was the cheapest rear wheel drive platform they could find.

Hey, I'm one of them. I've had 14. I've done the V8 mod. But I've also felt regret, and I know what my issues were when I was doing it.

What amazes me through all of this, besides the overwhelming number of hypocrits, is that most of you think there are only 8 or 9 Z's left on the planet. There are literally thousands upon thousands of them still out there. Someone personalizes theirs and it is different than yours and he is a bastard. It is absolutely no different than putting 17 inch tires on yours and lowering it. None. Maybe one should appreciate the time and effort to get as far as he did. I feel in a bit of a hole here as I pointed the car out and it is in my home town. I do not know the owner nor have ever seen the car. And I do know that is not a trailerhouse in the back ground. As far as 'throwing up a little in my mouth", it is almost the same feeling I had when I saw the paint job on said posters car(s). But it is HIS and he can do what he wants. I am disapointed in most of you. Not that any of you really care, but people that live in glass houses (and drive non 100% bone stock original Z's) shouldn't throw stones.

Before this argument continues, I think a few people on this thread need to remember a few things. You get opinions, other people get opinions. You get to disagree, you can even argue with them. But do not attack their right to have an opinion. E, I'm talking to you. The U.S. is embracing fascism quickly enough. Let's not help that along here.

And yes, that is one a$$- ugly car. Wouldn't even call it a Z anymore.