IGNORED

Car sat too long

Zedyone_kenobi

I recently took my Z out to a local car get together this weekend just to kick the dust off. Well it has been about 3 months since I drove my old gal, and I wanted to see if the Tension rod bushings made any difference, and just let her move some gas through the carbs.

WHen driving down the road, with the windows down I heard what sounded like a SHT, SHT, SHT, coming from what I think is the drivers rear. I thought perhaps I may have let it sit too long with the emergency brake on. So I figured I would just get her up to about 40 and wait for a safe distance and lock up the brakes to see if maybe something was rubbing. Believe it or not, that seemed to help. But when I drove home, I heard it again, more faint, but definitely there. It may be ebrake related, or just perhaps, I froze up a wheel cylinder. I have not had the drums off since I bought the car, so I need to figure out whats what. Perhaps I am down to the wear bars on the drums.

Any advice? I have another tire wheel question, but I will post it in another thread.

I agree, could be rust on the drum or the rotors. My car made a similar noise, like a brake sensor rubbing the rotor without the squeal. After a few drives, the noise has gone away. Still, if you've never removed the drums, it might be a good idea to inspect your brake shoes and hardware.

Just got my brakes ordered from Les Schab tires ( a big chain on the west coast anyway), turns out all I need is front calipers and I got the last the last set in the company. Thye got 1 drivers side and 2 right sides LOL ! Anyhow the dude who works there used a hubcap puller to get the aluminum drum off the drivers side and slightly bent the "backing plate", I guess it's called, and when I drove off I heard just what you were talking about and turned around to have them see what it was. First thing that came to mind was your description as the sound came on around 15 to 20 miles then died off around 50 and up only because it was going so fast. Pried it back into shape with the hubcap puller in a hot secound and off I went good as new. If you ain't found the source this might be what your hearing ^_^ Let us know if you found what ever it is. ~Z~

Edited by WingZr0

UPDATE: Well guys, pulled the drums off and to my surprise there was nothing. Zippo. Every looked good, shoes still looked serviceable with decent life in them. Took it for a drive and nothing. Quiet as a mouse. Well a mouse with an ANSA on it. The car braked as straight as it always did. I think I just may have had a slight stiction or build up from letting the car sit too long. THE problem is gone.