IGNORED

Engine Upgrades...Help..?

Zdriver19

Ok so I'm running a '76 280z and the engine is all factory. The only things I have done is I've replaced the distributor cap/rotors, spark plugs and wires. Im looking to do some engine work to beef this thing up..I guess I would just like to know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Peace,

John

you need to be more specific about the intended use of the car, the approach you want to take, how much you have to spend, Also spend a little time searching, there are dozens of good Z sites with tips, ideas, and people documenting their projects. This type of forum is for answering specific questions.

have fun

Eric

I'm looking to gain some speed and horsepower.. I'm just lost on where to start.

Just playing Devil's advocate here, but what's wrong with the speed and power you have now?

Have you got compression figures on that engine? How many miles on the engine. Hot rod stuff you might throw at a half worn out engine probably wouldn't be money well spent.....

A freshen-up (rings, bearings, valve job) might be the best bang for your buck at the moment. At least you'd be getting what there is to be had from the 2.8 in a form that would be drivable.

And you guys thought I was going to suggest he needs new carbs, huh?

most people think a turbo scavenged from a 280zxt is the best bang for the buck for serious gains in a mainly stock and streetable configuration. most other mods are expensive per HP gained (stroker) or require lots of related mods to get the power (cam carbs, headers, compression etc). Just my 2 cents, chime in if you have other experiences.

Im just taking all the advice thrown at me. Its all good stuff. I will start with bearing, rings, valve job and such and work my way up from there. I know that doing. So I will just take it one step at a time and research everything and take it from there. Thanks for all the help guys. It's much appreciated.

-John

It all boils down to money and how fast you want to go, or spend. I agree with what has been offered so far. HP gain you will find is with the head work done. Which includes cam and aspiration. It's all a balancing act . Flame thrower ignition , needs fuel and head work, cam , and so on . A complete package.

What do you expect for the car. Street , track what?

Lets take a moment to pause here. Your walking around gather good bits of knowledge but you have no idea how to use them. People are being generous with advice, but you have to tell us what the car is going to be used for. That, your budget, and your skills at doing detailed assembly/disassembly. Right now you are a parts suppliers dream. A person with no direction who whats to buy lots of parts with the dream of having a fast Z.

You have to be realistic with your goals, your wallet, and your expectations. You need to ask yourself, how long can this car sit. Is it my daily driver, or can it remain non operational for months.

We need answers to these questions.

Well im 19 and this is my first car. When I thought about buying a car i thought..I really dont know much about cars or how to assemble/disassemble, fix or really do anything with them. I knew the only way to learn was to get a car that needed some work..not thousands of dollars, but enough so i could learn. This was what I needed. So far I have replaced the distributor, changed the piston rings and head gasket, refurbished the exhaust manifold, pulled and fixed the heating core, rewired the stereo wiring harness and carpeted the inside, all with no help or manuals. I know its not a lot, or anything to brag about considering most everyone here can do that blind folded haha, but Im a quick learner and I am very interested in how cars work and making them work better.

Right now my car is in good shape. Yes it can sit for a while and i will have other transportation. And no way is my wallet a wishing well.

I was just looking for some advice on how to put so pepper in this old Z..not turn it into the bat mobile!

You'll never learn if you don't ask questions.

Thanks for the help you guys!

-John

Here is my oppinion, the car is old , make it safe first brakes, struts bushings etc, then ask the question how this modification is going to change the car power economy. You can spend a lot money on performance parts and not have a good motor, to me a good runing fresh motor is best, while doing the motor you can change the cam for a mild one, change the injectors or make sure your old one are in good working order, remeber the car is old and is going to need parts that wear out. Bee n a young person Iam sure you want to have it as a daily driver so you can show it of, make it look good, a lot of your friends will admire the car for what it looks like than for its speed. And remeber ... this is what I tell my son it is a sport car not a race car. Enjoy you Z

That sounds like the beat thing that I should do. I've gotten all the advice I was looking for! Thank yoy, wise men of the Z! I will show off some pictures of later work. I will start with the safety and efficiency of the vehicle. Than slowly make this a beautifully restored Z.