Mylar logo'd sunshades - Completed

Arne

Here's the final count:  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Here's the final count:

• [b]240-Z[/b]
    • [b]280-Z[/b]
    • [b]DATSUN[/b]

Out of curiosity, will adhesive be applied to the vinyl letters as well so we're not relying on the surrounding mylar to hold up the letters?
Adam, I don't believe so, no. But from my experience with the first true sample (still on my car's windshield, BTW), I don't think that will be a problem. The newer adhesive seems more than adequate to the job. Plus if you've squeegee'd it thoroughly, it appears to me that the vinyl has done the static cling action and really doesn't want to sag. I'll know more about that soon, when I remove this sample.

Sign vinyl has adhesive on the back, so you are good there. It looks like he is using 2mm vinyl, so the letters are only 2mm thick, you will hardly notice they are not silk screened. Nice job!
Stickerman, I assume you mean 2 mil as in 0.0254 mm or .002 inches and not 2mm. That would kind of suck. :)
I'm with Adam on this - no way the letters are 2 mm think! Maybe thicker than 2 mil, but not much.

From Answer.com.

How thick is 20 mil?

In: Length and Distance [Edit categories]

Dakota Ultrasonics

Ultrasonic Thickness gauges, Flaw Detectors, and Bolting equipment

www.dakotaultrasonics.com

According to Answers.com, a mil is: "A unit of length equal to one thousandth (10-3) of an inch (0.0254 millimeter), used, for example, to specify the diameter of wire or the thickness of materials sold in sheets."

So; 20 mil = 20 thousandths of an inch = 0.020 inches

Or; 20 x 0.0254 millimeters = 0.508 millimeters = 0.05 cm

But... According to another source there is more to the story:

"All papers are measured in two ways. One is referred to as the paper weight, the other is the actual thickness of the paper. Paper weight is generally measured in 'grams per square meter' (gsm). Paper thickness is measured in 'mils' which is short for thousandths of an inch. Paper weight and paper thickness often go hand in hand, BUT because some papers are denser than others they may be heavier than a similar thickness paper. For example, two manufacturers may list a weight of 300gsm, but the papers may have a different thickness because they have different densities.

Paper thickness is generally listed as 10mil or 15.5mil and this is equivalent to .010 inches or .0155 inches respectively. To give this some perspective, a human hair is only 2 mils. This is measured with a digital micrometer."

I would say that the letters are very thin. Hope this helps?

We're close. Looks like we'll miss the previous ETA by a day or two. Final payment has been mailed, and the product should be shipped to me early next week. I'll then spot check a couple for quality and begin shipping.