IGNORED

The Amelia Experience - Making the Event

Carl Beck

Great stories! Foose sounds like a great guy, I always thought highly of his work and his treatment of others.

I've had my Z in general car shows and I've always gotten a strong crowd. It's amazing how many people have a memory of them. I had a guy that owns 2 Ferraris (67 330 and a 360CS), a fully restored '67 Vette, and a historic Indy Car show up at my house (in his Ford GT) to look at my Z. It was quite interesting how much he liked my car - I would have traded him on the spot!! ;)

Amelia Island Was A Great Place To Meet People In The Real World.

Amelia Story - #4 - Bobby Unser:

We finally got a chance to meet Bobby Unser. He was one of the honored "Great Roadster Drivers". Having won the Indy 500 three times. I wish I could repeat some of the stories he told.. ROFL

Vicki and I attended the seminar given by the Great Roadster Drivers Saturday morning. After the seminar, we were standing around talking to Mr. Brock and Hurley Haywood, when Bobby Unser came over to join us.

I introduced myself and Vicki then told Mr. Unser that we had been to his home, were given a tour of the Unser Garage and indeed we had a picture of Vicki sitting in one of his Indy winning cars.

Mr. Unser's daughter had invited us over to their home after the Z Car Convention in Albuquerque, NM. She how owns the Datsun 260Z OMS Pace Car that her father was presented after winning the 1974 California 500 - USAC Championship. So it was great to finally get to meet Mr. Unser in person.

UnserSide2.jpg

FWIW,

Carl B.

That's a great picture link, Mike. Thanks. Just returned from the Festival of Speed in St. Petersburg. Not as good a turnout as I have seen in the past. Carl, where were you? I thought you'd be high-fiven the field today! Some very nice cars showed up this year, though. Briggs Cunningham's Maserati Birdcage Tipo 63/64 was there. Chassis 63-002. And a '59 Ferrari 275.

So...did you guys have as much fun at Amelia as I found trouble at Fest-O-Speed?

post-4148-14150806589651_thumb.jpg

Here is a link to the Amelia Island photo gallery on Supercars.net, including many pictures of Carl's car. There are 13 pages of pics from the show.

http://www.supercars.net/gallery/119513/2002/6.html

-Mike

Hi Mike:

THANKS for finding these and letting us know.... the pictures by Richard Owen are very good. Wish we had the LeMans wheels shinned back up before he took them... but that was late Saturday afternoon when we were putting the Race Cars on the Greens... very damp and foggy day...

Carl,

Just came across this illustration of your car, must say this very rare.

Maybe you can persuade him to make a decal out of it.

http://www.toddwcook.com/index.html

Hi Guus:

That is pretty good - Thanks for finding it and letting us know. I'll have to get in touch with Mr. Cook...

FWIW,

Carl B.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris:

Great - thanks for the heads-up. I wish that the owner of the 911 and I had been able to spend more time together. Really nice man and very neat car. It was very hard to stay by your car to talk to people about it - and still get around the field to see everything else.

Thanks,

Carl B.

Carl,

Have you been comparing your car to a Works rally 240Z, or did the writer of that article make that bit up all by himself?

I can't imagine how he could come up with the idea that your BRE car "...is similar to the Nissan factory works FIA Pro-Rally cars that ran the East African Safari Rally". It seems a completely bizarre comparison to me. They really don't have much in common at all, do they?

And they didn't even spell poor Herrmann and Schuller's names correctly!

Alan T.

And they didn't even spell poor Herrmann and Schuller's names correctly!

Ha ha!

They've corrected the spellings without acknowledging the original error, or the fact that it was pointed out to them.

What a coincidence that the two names are still misspelled ( and with exactly the same misspelling ) over at zhome.com, so it's obvious where SCD got their misinformation from.

Talking of misinformation, the official BRE site ( bre2.net ) quotes the BRE 'Baja' 240Z as having taken part in the "1970 Baja 1000". Whoops :bunny:

History. It's just one damned thing after another, isn't it?

What a coincidence that the two names are still misspelled ( and with exactly the same misspelling ) over at zhome.com, so it's obvious where SCD got their misinformation from.

Checking again today, I see that the zhome.com page I referred to above ( www.zhome.com/History/rally.htm ) lists a "4th update 17 April 2009", but the names of Herrmann and Schuller are still misspelled in the text, thus:

"The driving team of Edgar Hermann / Hans Shuller also became the first team to win back to back over-all victories!"

......so their names are now spelled both correctly and incorrectly on the same page. Some of the other crew names need correcting too.

And Carl, your silence on this speaks volumes. I'm deducing that you supplied the information to Sports Car Digest, and that Sports Car Digest are not replying to my queries on their Amelia Island report page for this reason?

I'm going to have to contact SCD's editors by direct e-mail, aren't I?

Alan T.