IGNORED

The Amelia Experience - Making the Event

Carl Beck

Hi Gang:

I’ve published some pictures and captions from the Amelia Island Concours this past weekend, on the Z Car Home Page. It was just faster/easier to put the large photo files there, along with the proper captions. If your interested see:

http://ZHome.com/Amelia09/Amelia09BREZ.htm

I’ll be adding some side stories about the trip and the Event a little later to this Thread... so check back..

FWIW,

Carl B.

I spent most of Sunday(until I ran out of battery/tape) video taping peoples reaction to Carls car-they ranged from the couple that were very interested until they saw the "Datsun" emblem, to the three elderly ladies who were cackling about the times they had in a Z in their younger years-those memories belonged in an X rated movie-I blushed!!

Most people with childeren had the "I used to have one of these" stories to tell that their kids now know....and we have all heard!

The Patriarch and 260Z owner of one family from Alabama couldn't believe his eyes in finding a Z on the green at Amelia, he was seriously impressed, flabbergasted, and amazed all at the same time! He went over evey inch of the car with his family, sharing the intimate details of his own car with the examples of Carls!

Will

PS Carl, Thanks for posting (arguably) my best side!

Will

Edited by hls30.com

PS Carl, Thanks for posting (arguably) my best side!

Will

Hi Will:

I was laughing so much I had to stop typing, as I constructed that report.ROFL

Sorry to say that was the only picture that Vicki and I had time to capture of that activity.

Nonetheless, you look good there....

FWIW,

Carl B.

Were there many people that came up to the car to look at it?

Hi RJ:

THOUSANDS... Most of the pictures I was able to take - I took before the crowd got too large, and when people weren't standing in the picture. Perhaps Will or John took some pictures of the people surrounding the car.

Did you win anything?

NO - someone showed up with a Dayton Coupe - prehaps the best example of the design. It is planned to be sold in the next couple of months and they expect it to sell in the $10M to $12M range.

It was great to have two of Peter Brock's cars there... but even if it hadn't shown up - there was a Porsche 906 to contend with. I had no illusions of winning any awards - - just getting a Datsun 240-Z sitting in that company was more than enough for me.

Looks like a fantastic time - that would be a dream to own a car like that and have it on the lawn with all those classics!

We had a fantaistic time - and it was a dream come true. We had a goal of getting Datsun 240-Z's into the Countries Highest Level Concours Events and Classic Car Shows - starting around 2003. ZULAYTR { aka Bob Speights} and Dan Banks have also worked hard toward that goal, and their 240-Z's and efforts should not be overlooked.

Many of the Ferrari owners and one person with a Jag. 220 were among the most welcoming and enthusiastic about seeing a 240-Z there. Several told me that they either still have a 240-Z, had one, or were planning on adding one to their collections.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Friday evening we were starved... So we went one of the restaurants in the Ritz-Carlton for dinner. Only to find out that reservations were required, and without them the waiting list was about four hours long. The Hostess told us that we could get something to eat in the Sports Bar, as we could order off the Cafe menu there. So there we went.

The Sports Bar was not too busy, but all the table were taken, so we decided to just sit at the bar. A few minutes after we ordered - another couple came in and sat at the bar with us. I thought I recognized the guy, but just couldn't pull the name from memory. You know how it is when you see someone you know, but just can't place them or remember their name quickly enough.

We spoke briefly, and give them our copy of the Cafe menu - and I kept thinking that he would say something that would key my memory.... something like "I saw you at the Cleveland Convention" or "aren't you from Clearwater"...

After about 10 minutes it hit me - "Is your name Chip?" I ask him. "Yes" he replied. "Foose?" I continued. "Yes", he replied!! Da.. no wonder he didn't recognize me, he didn't know me from Adam. I had to laugh.... Anyway - Vicki and I had dinner with Chip Foose and his wife. So we talked about all manor of Design, Automobiles, Kids, Dog's and life in general. Very down to earth couple and it was a real pleasure to met them both.

Ah Amelia....

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150806483711_thumb.jpg

post-3609-14150806508347_thumb.jpg

I shot some video of Carl being interviewed by Mr. Haggarty!

I have not moved/editied any of the video yet, but it will be done soon!

Meanwhile, here are a few pics of Saturday...

Will

post-4106-1415080650888_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150806509189_thumb.jpg

post-4106-14150806509427_thumb.jpg

Edited by hls30.com