IGNORED

act your age. Wait no... Post your age

five&dime

Im 26. alot of my fascination with Z's stared with watching SCCA they have a sleek design and reminds me alot of the old aston martin vintage. my first car was a hand me down mitsuBitchi eclipse. typical drive it fix it then drive it fix it some more. after the 4th time it broke down i kicked it to the curve. BUT the first car i ever owned as in bought with my own money was my 92 civic hatchback had a stock look to it other than the turbo prelude engine in it. to compare thats like putting a supercharged v8 into a Z. i was able to sell my hatch for a profit thanks to a rich kid and fast and ferious( im Asian and i found the movie somewhat insulting). anywho the civic was the first car i owned and fixed on my own she will alway hold a place in my heart. after that i owned a mazda p5. thats a long story... than i bought a 97 subaru impreza to fix up and now to date i bought a z. i still own the subie anf have lots of plans for her.

Looks like I'm the oldest at 62. That fact alone now makes me feel like $^!#! I've owned hundreds of cars, my first one was Mr. Blue, a 1950 Ford coupe that I got when I was 15. My Dad paid $50 dollars for it and I spent $200 on a metalic blue paint job. Restoring cars has been my hobby every since but I usaually end up losing or not making much of a profit when I sell one. To me it was never about the money but the fun of working on them. I've mostly owned Chevies and Fords but a few foreign cars as well. I've three 914's a 944 and a Boxier. Street Rods was my love with my last two being a 40 Ford and a 60 El Camino. Last year this month I had a heart attack and have since stopped building cars for the most part except for the 1972 Datsun 240Z that I bought my wife Sue a few months back ( Sue is much younger and better looking then myself!) I had bought her a 2008 Honda 2000CR for auto crossing but when she fell in love we road racing this past year I knew we needed a dedicated race car as she was too nervous on the course in her new car. I found our 240 on ebay, it had been a student trainer at a race track in Ca.. Sue loves the car in fact I just finished loading it on our trailer for an autocross event tomorrow. They'll be around 60 cars there and I hope Sue will finish in the top twenty percent as usual. The car handles well but she's still working on getting used to the wheel hope in tight corners as the spiders gears have been welded. It road races very well and even managed to run a few Porsche's into the ground last event. I enjoy reading the posts on this site and at times wish I too was restoring another old car. I'm interested in finding out why the one guys car won't rev past 4K!

I'm 55 going on 25... Every morning I look in the mirror and ask myself, "who's the old guy in the mirror?".

I bought my 1st 240, a 1973 in January of 1980. Drove it for 8-1/2 years. Sold it when I took an after work / weekend Masters program.

Bought a 1971 240 needing restoration in 1987. Had it for about 6? years till it was hit while parked and totalled.

Bought my current 1972 240 in December of 2007. It's just a few months from completion if ll goes well...

Great responses as predicted 5 and dime , excellent thread !

Hello pit crew guy , I spent last week in las Vegas for a lacrosse tournament with our teen son's club , what a awesome time we had . I had my camera everywhere we went hoping to see a Z but only saw a zx and it was pulled over in a parking lot by the state police so I didn't go searching for shots like I would have normally . I imagine cruising the strip in vintage jtin would open more than a few eyes !

see ya

Chris

I turned 56 in January. I purchased my 1976 280 new in February of that year after looking at a couple of vets. I didn't like the vet because of the way I had to look over the hood bump and the high fenders, so I went with the Z. I traded in my 1972 VW beetle that I purchased new for $1995.00 and sold it for $1550.00 to buy the Z.

I drove the car for 4 years as a daily driver until I got a company car. I would drive the car on the weekends and every now and then during the week in the summer months. Around 1986 I had moved and had no room for the car and put it in storage in 1990. At that time I was working for my self as a professional photographer and did not have time for the car, so it sat until spring of 1999. At that time I had to revive the car from the long storage.

To get the car back to the way I wanted it I had to do some minor engine work on the injectors, clutch and exhaust system. I also wanted the same dealer installed duel mirrors that I removed in 1986, I found them in Nevada and had them painted the same color as the car in the summer of 1999.

I found this site around 2 years ago and now look here every day to learn more about the car. I was able to drive to the ZCCA event last year in Cleveland and was fortunate enough to get 3rd place in street modified first generation. Who would have guessed.

I have been one of the fortunate ones to have their first Z and I always will because the car is so addictive.

Love the site and all the free info., thanks.

I'll be 53 in April. Growing up in rural S. Texas I did not actually see a Z until 1976 although I had read about them in the car mags. A friend at TAMU took me to an autocross in his '70 and I watched him blow the mustangs and vettes out of the parking lot. Decide then and there that a Z would be my next car. Two years later my wife convinced me that a Thunderbird should be my next car, no room for babies in a Z.

Graduated from college, joined the real world of work and kids, and finally bought a '70 Z in 2006. I have been working on it ever since and loving every minute. I have put it into commuter duty for the last several weeks until my next Z shows up from California.

I bought a BMW Z4 coupe last week. It is more like the 240Z than either the 350 or 370 Z. Long hood, straight six, simple interior, correct dimensions. Test drove a 370 and it was an absolute beast... too fast for an old guy like me.

Great site; lots of help; good folks. I met Frank (from the Woodlands) last week at a car show. Nice car, nice guy.

I'm 33 and this is the first Z that I have actually owned, though I have coveted many over the years.

My father bought a 71 240 brand new after waiting on the list for 3 months. Growing up, and still today, despite all the cars he has owned he still talks about his 240 with special reverence.

I have always loved the looks of the S30 and have thoroughly enjoyed working on and driving the one I have now. I foresee many Z's in my future (and my backyard).

I look forward to dad's next visit when I get to hand him the keys to the 240 and watch his light up like mine have so many times in the past.

Looks like I'm the oldest at 62. That fact alone now makes me feel like $^!#!.....
You shouldn't feel bad about that. Like they say, being 62 as you are or 58 like I am and being alive sure beats the alternative! Besides, we 50+ and 60+ year olds can tell stoires that the younger ones won't really get because they haven't 'been there'. Like being able to buy a car for $50 and actually driving it home. In fact, I drove my first car, a 58 Rambler American that I paid $50 for, for three years until my uncle overheated it and then hosed down the engine to cool it.:stupid:

Looks like I'm the oldest at 62. That fact alone now makes me feel like $^!#!

There are a good handful of active members here that are older, and a lot more right behind you, so don't feel so bad. I'll be 59 this year and can relate to your story, as it sounds a lot like mine. It was a little more than a year and a half ago that I also had a heart attack. A warning shot across the bow, that limited my abilities somewhat even though the passion for the hobby never wanes. This is my first and only Z other than a parts car but I have admired them since I first saw one in the showroom of Downtown Motors here in the summer of 1970. A friend of mine bought that 240Z, which was reminiscent of Randy Mally's Green/Butterscotch Z. It was the first one I drove and it left such a lasting impression that I decided to make this my retirement restoration project. Taking longer than originally anticipated but moving forward.

Going on 45 this summer.

Remember the station wagon's with the jump seat way in the back that you sat in facing out the back window? Well that was our family people mover, artificial wood grain panels and all...well I would press my nose against the back window and stare at all the cars going by and make faces at those tailgating us:laugh:. The Z was one of those cars as a kid growing up you just looked in awe as you saw one driving by. Always thinking...someday...well that day came 2 years ago.

The neat thing about living in the midwest is you don't see many running around as most have found a place in that other thread..."out to pasture". Had mine out for a quick run today...sunny and 55 degrees (warm for Wisconsin)...had the typical thumbs up, stares and awes by the local kids. The neat thing was my 13 year old was along for the ride...all he kept saying was, "this is so cool" and "I can't wait until I'm 16". And the cycle starts all over again. Someday hopefully he can be passing a similar memory. Can't buy that in any store...

Not getting old...just more refined!

Going on 45 this summer.

Remember the station wagon's with the jump seat way in the back that you sat in facing out the back window? Well that was our family people mover, artificial wood grain panels and all...well I would press my nose against the back window and stare at all the cars going by and make faces at those tailgating us:laugh:.

Your last name isn't Griswold is it? :)