IGNORED

Battery Tray fit issue

conedodger

I would except that I don't weld. I had a friend weld the pices together on mine. I got everything cut, bent and prepped, but he did the important part. There was enough stock left over after mine to make 4-5 more. If I weren't planning on tracking my car, I could have probably skipped the angle brackets and simply used the main strap piece. That would eliminate the need for any welding, but I wanted mine to be completely secure.

I will likely make one more when we build our LeMons Z.

I would except that I don't weld. I had a friend weld the pices together on mine. I got everything cut, bent and prepped, but he did the important part. There was enough stock left over after mine to make 4-5 more. If I weren't planning on tracking my car, I could have probably skipped the angle brackets and simply used the main strap piece. That would eliminate the need for any welding, but I wanted mine to be completely secure.

I will likely make one more when we build our LeMons Z.

You interested in supplying the pieces? I could always get someone local to weld it up. I really like the tube you added for the J bolt, great enhancement to the design (I'd want that version of course).

I ran into this problem mounting an Optima Red Top in the RX8. Dummy me didn't realize that the plastic attached to the top of the battery was meant to be placed under the battery to raise the top so it could be tied down with the OEM battery hold downs.

Jeff's solution is very nice!!

I could do that, but to tell you the truth, it was cheap and easy to do. I think I have about $20 in materials which will make quite a few and it took less than an hour to cut and bend everything. I used a pnuematic angle die grinder with a cutoff wheel to slice the square tube at the corners and then cleaned it up with a sanding disc on the die grinder. The main strap was simply bent to shape in a vice. The CAD work was by far the hardest part (that was my first and only CATIA attempt).

If you still want me to cut up a set, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

If you still want me to cut up a set, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Jeff, that would be great if you could. Shoot me a PM with how much you want and how to get it to you.

MY solution to this was a billet optima tray from Summit

That's interesting. It appears a bit large and out of place in the Z though. The question I have is what/how does this attach to the car? I see that is sandwiches around the battery calmping it between the two billet pieces though I just don't see where/how it's attached to the car to keep the whole thing from flying in to the side of the engine.