IGNORED

New 240Z Door Panels 70-73

geezer

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the info. on the door panels. I am looking for some white ones. where is this nissan parts dept located in canada. phone or address. Thanks.

They are NOT available in white. Only BLACK is available, in intermittent quantities. There is no parts depot in Canada per say, its just any dealership here. People on this thread have called a dealership in Toronto to get prices and availability as well as some dealerships out west. They also do not ship, and most require payment up front to order them and then pick up in person to get them.

If you want black ones call any dealership in Canada, if you can't locate one you want let me know and I can call one here for you.

The reason:

These door panels are not approved for the US market and that is why the US dealers are not allowed to sell them. They are only approved for Canadian 240z cars. It may be a safety issue (maybe the US version had to have a cutout for a lamp and maybe Nissan decided later to cover over the hole and let dealers punch the vinyl when the lamp went in during panel installation, NHTSA might have balked) or it could be something related to a part number (meaning they are the same, but some clerical error got caught up in bureaucracy once upon a time). For whatever reason, our government is the reason we cannot get these. Or maybe those door panel lamps were required by the US government and the early 240z cars were rigged up with door lamps to get past regulators with the intention of being removed from the production line after regulators went away. I bet a cantankerous old engineer thought they were stupid.

In the 70s, folks would track down Canadian cylinder heads for racing because they had higher compression than the US versions.

The reason:

I suspected it was a bureaucratic snag that has never been worked out simply because there was not enough, or any opposition to whatever government agencies guideline or rule wasn't met.

If I can sidetrack the topic briefly, I would like to know if anyone spotted an Ebay ad a few days ago listed by datsun-parts. It was a Buy it Now for a NOS dash panel. I would not have bid on it whatever the price, but someone did or the listing was ended early by the seller and it has disappeared from the listings. It does not even show up in an advanced search. In one of the pics (which I should have saved, but it was gone before I had a chance) the part number was clearly visable on what looked like new packaging from Nissan and had "CAN" included on the barcode label. I am just wondering if new dash panels are being made available also?

Edited by geezer

Ron from what I know, you can still order NOS dashes. You can't by the series 1 dash for sure, but last I checked the dashes were anout $1500. Not sure about 280 dashes. Are you going to call and check them out Ron?

Hmmn, I was doing a quick check of newly listed items under a "240Z" search and spotted the ad, which I believe was an early dash. I continued on looking at all the other listings and then went back to check out the part number, but the ad was gone. If I was going to check for availability, I would have to give them a part number and I'm not sure if the old number could be used or not, cause that's all I have.

Hmmn, I was doing a quick check of newly listed items under a "240Z" search and spotted the ad, which I believe was an early dash. I continued on looking at all the other listings and then went back to check out the part number, but the ad was gone. If I was going to check for availability, I would have to give them a part number and I'm not sure if the old number could be used or not, cause that's all I have.

Hi Ron,

I am going to do some speculation, which may fit what you have been seeing.

There is a web site, www.new-datsun-parts.com which lists new dashes from 1970-78 for sale. More than likely what you saw, and what he offers on his web site is a 1972 dash up to 7/72, I believe, part no. 68100-E8800, which is a direct replacement for the earliest dash, #68100-E4600 according to the parts CD.

Now, this site may or may not be the same individual who was selling the dash on ebay.

Dan

Hi Dan - They are two different sellers. The Ebay dash was being sold by datsun-parts (Al) from Rancho Cucamonga, California. He is a featured seller in the "Bad Ebayer" thread on this site and also a member who posts every so often, when he feels the need to defend his honor. The other, www.new-datsun-parts.com is based in Port Coquitlam BC Canada and operated by Carl Jaeger, who I have bought from. I am not looking to buy a dash and only briefly glanced over the ad while breezing through the listings but did notice the odd barcode label with the Nissan part number. It was distinctly marked "CAN". It just sparked my curiosity and then when I scrolled back through the items, it was gone. I can't remember exactly what it was priced at, but I remember thinking it was ridiculously high. I think $2300.00, but don't quote me on that.

Edited by geezer

Hi Dan - They are two different sellers.

Yeah, I finally figured out that it was "AL". Carl Jaeger is a good guy to deal with as I, too, have purchased from him. A bit pricy, but he has found me some very hard to find items.

Dan

More than likely what you saw, and what he offers on his web site is a 1972 dash up to 7/72, I believe, part no. 68100-E8800...

This dash has been relisted and Dan had the part number correct. The seller is not who I thought it was either.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110394605587