IGNORED

Dupli-color interior paint = TERRIBLE!

280z4me

Just letting everyone know my experience.

I purchased a can of gloss black duplicolor interior paint. I clean the door panel extremely well. I sprayed a small section and it looked GREAT! As it started drying, it started to lose its gloss. When it was fully dry, it was completely FLAT. Nowhere near a semi-gloss and looked worse then the factory color. I thought there was a possibility of the can lids being swapped out in the store so I went to a different autozone and purchased another can of gloss black. This was the same color as the first can. I decided I would not do the entire interior so I thru some turtle wax interior shine on the door. The painted area doesnt absorb the shine like the rest of the door and within 2 minutes goes back to flat black.

Just wanted to inform everyone that this stuff is garbage! I would stay as far away from it as I can throw it!

Edited by 280z4me

The Duplicolor paints aren't for vinyl. Even on plastic they can do poorly, in my experience. That is probably why you're having a bad reaction with it.

Try the SEM brand. Specifically "Landau Black" for the interior where you want a Satin Gloss finish. You should be able to find SEM at your local Automotive paint store.

Eastwood does have some good paint, but after paying for shipping (and remember spray paint has to be shipped by ground), it may prove to be very costly.

FWIW

E

I have had good luck with duplicolor and they do have a vinyl paint thbat works well on plastic. Sems makes good stuff too. In fact I used both on my dash repair. The duplicolor finish was almost to glossy for me and I dulled it with a little 00steel wool rub down.

post-7622-14150805560206_thumb.jpg

post-7622-1415080556067_thumb.jpg

Has anyone tried to spray the vinyl and plastic parts in an off-white interior? My interior is perfect, except its a little yellowed by the sun. It'd sure save a lot of money if I could re-dye it. I'll be replacing the transmission tunnel and headliner vinyl with stuff from MSA because I figure I'll ruin it when I take it out, but the rest of it can be reused. This means I need to dye it to match the MSA stuff, but MSA doesn't sell off-white dye. Any suggestions of what color and brand to use?

I used SEM vinyl dye on ALL of my plastic parts inside the car, it is called "Super White 15103". I didn't use it on the vinyl as mine was in very good condition. I had to order the rear finisher from MSA and ordered it in the off white. To my surprise when it arrived it was black on the back and sprayed with the SEM Super White 15103 and matched my other plastic parts to a T. I am very pleased how the stuff worked. To find a dealer I googled "SEM Vinyl Dye" and came up with a bunch of suppliers and ordered 2 cans from the least expensive place. One can did ALL of the interior plastic.

Bonzi Lon

I've used the Dupli-color on my black vinyl and it came out fantastic. This was over a year ago and it looks as good now as it did when I first sprayed it. It is a nice glossy black. Your statement that it is garbage is incorrect.

As madkaw stated, they have a product that works on plastic and vinyl. If you have no experience with these products, then refrain from making any statements.

I too have used Dupli Color with good results so I can also attest that it's not 'garbage'. Did you clean the panels thoroughly before spraying? Residue from stuff like Armor All and 'turtle wax interior shine' will affect the way the product works. There's an old saying-----'It's the singer, not the song'

I have used the Duplicolor gloss black vinyl paint, and it came out glossy. I used it on the door panels, dash cap, center console and the heater/vent panel. I even used it on the pad for the center armrest, and it's still nice and shiny. I just used a good claner to clean, and some wax & grease remover before painting.