IGNORED

National Z Convention History

Mike B

I wanted to see if the Northwest has ever hosted a National Z convention, so I searched around on this site and several other places trying to find a list of where and when the National Z Conventions were held. I couldn't find a complete listing, but I pieced together the attached list based on information I came across during my seach. Can anyone add to or make corrections to this list?

Also, it looks like the last two conventions and the one planned for next year were all at the end of Sept to early Oct, but before that the timing varied quite a bit. Is that a requirement that they all be held at the same time now, or is that just a coincidence?

-Mike

National Z Conventions.doc

Edited by Mike B
Updated file

The first national convention in '88 was held in Aspen, Colorado. Then we held another one in Denver and had the track event at the old stapleton runways, if you say it was '98 I will believe you.

As far as timing of the events, I think it has more to do with weather and time of the season. Leaves changing colors, too hot, mild weather etc. Nobody wants it too hot or rainy.

'01 was in ontario, check triad z club for details.

Edited by Darrel

According to Ben Millspaugh, he was on his way home from a six week tour, while researching his book "Z Car, A Ledgend In Its Own Time", and was thinking of a discussion he had with Jim Wolf about hosting a National Z Car Convention.

At the time, Bob Rapparlie was the Z Car Club of Colorado's President and Ben was the V.P.. Bob wanted the event held in Aspen and it was actually held in Snowmass.

The Z Car Club Association wasn't formed until 1990 or 1991...

FWIW,

Carl B.

So how about one of the next two that haven't been scheduled in Portland or Seattle since there hasn't be one in the Northwest? Rainier, the Oregon coast, great tracks, Willamette Valley, catch a Seahawks game, sounds like a blast.

From the Z Car Club Association web site; http://www.zcca.org/pages/SiteMap.htm

The ZCCA was started during the second Annual Z Car Convention held in Phoenix, Arizona in the summer of 1990. The Club representatives had lunch with Nissan's VP of Marketing, Mr. Hadley Chamberlain, who stressed the company was very supportive of the grass roots Z Car Club movement but could not interface effectively with each individual Club. It was therefore decided by the Clubs represented at that meeting to form the ZCCA.

After a few years of coordination and setting up the Constitution and

By-Laws, the current formalized ZCCA was set in operation, complete with a

dues structure, etc. The Charter Member Clubs of the current ZCCA are:

ARIZONA Z-CAR CLUB

BLUE RIDGE Z CLUB

BRAZOS VALLEY Z CAR CLUB

BRITISH COLUMBIA Z REGISTRY

CAROLINA Z CLUB

DATSUN ZOOM CLUB [MONTREAL]

GATEWAY Z CLUB INC

GROUP Z

MARYLAND Z CLUB

OKLAHOMA Z CLUB

SMOKY MOUNTAIN Z CAR CLUB

THOUSAND ISLAND Z CAR CLUB

TRIAD Z CLUB

TRIANGLE Z CLUB

WHITE ROSE Z & ZX CLUB

Z CAR ASSOCIATION OF RICHMOND

Z CAR CLUB OF COLORADO

Z CAR CLUB OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA

Z CLUB OF ALBUQUERQUE

Z CLUB OF GEORGIA

Z CLUB OF HOUSTON

Z CLUB OF OHIO

Z CLUB OF SAN DIEGO

Z CLUB OF TEXAS

Z SPORT

ZOOM [Z CLUB OF MN]

The time of year depends on the preference of the organizing local club. Daytona was scheduled because it was off season and the rates were lowest and the freebees plentiful (supposedly). San Antonio is scheduled for the same reason. I like the enthusiasm I'm reading about putting on a convention. One of things I like about the conventions is the ability to go places I wouldn't normally go. Cleveland is a perfect example and I have no problem with the "its too far to drive my car" thing. I just fly there, rent a car, and party - so what! Another thing I'm noticing about the conventions is the attendance of "Internet" clubs. I propose that at San Antonio, ClassicZ hosts a dinner party of our own for one of the off evenings, OR sponsors an event at the convention. We had a real nice turnout at Cleveland and I was delighted to meet several of the guys from here. Collectively, our ClassicZ site had a noticable presence at Cleveland. Our voice could be a significant contribution to the Z conventions.

Edited by 26th-Z

... Another thing I'm noticing about the conventions is the attendance of "Internet" clubs. I propose that at San Antonio, ClassicZ hosts a dinner party of our own for one of the off evenings, OR sponsors an event at the convention. We had a real nice turnout at Cleveland and I was delighted to meet several of the guys from here. Collectively, our ClassicZ site had a noticable presence at Cleveland. Our voice could be a significant contribution to the Z conventions.

Cris,

What a great observation-and idea!

Will

,,,snip....The ZCCA was started during the second Annual Z Car Convention held in Phoenix, Arizona in the summer of 1990.....snip.....

Just a slight correction, as the second convention was in Dallas, not Phoenix. :)

Also, to help with MikeB's list, the date for the Dallas convention was June 15 - 18, 1989.

post-10534-14150804796617_thumb.jpg

Edited by moonpup

From the Z Car Club Association web site; http://www.zcca.org/pages/SiteMap.htm

The ZCCA was started during the second Annual Z Car Convention held in Phoenix, Arizona in the summer of 1990.

According to Ben Millspaugh, who actually started the Z National Conventions - the first National Z Car Convention was in 1988 near Aspen, CO. The second National Z Car Convention was in Dallas in 1989 and the third National Z Car Convention was held in Phoenix in 1990.

At the third National Z Car Convention the ZCCA (An organization called the National Nissan/Datsun Z Car Club Association) was formed... and the ZCCA member clubs put on their first Annual Convention in 1991. (the fourth Z Car Convention).

When you think about it - it is a really sad commentary that a major automobile manufacturer was unwilling and/or unable to directly interface with their most enthusiastic customers. Just my opinion but I belive that kind of thinking represents at least one reason Nissan went broke. and is a very sad example of how not to handle Public Relations/Marketing.

Question - of the original Charter Member Clubs of the ZCCA - how many are still paid members?

FWIW,

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

Thanks everyone. I updated the file based on the input. Just missing the 1991 location and a few dates.

So how about one of the next two that haven't been scheduled in Portland or Seattle since there hasn't be one in the Northwest? Rainier, the Oregon coast, great tracks, Willamette Valley, catch a Seahawks game, sounds like a blast.

Hopefully Portland or Seattle will get a convention some day. July or August would be the best time of year. Maybe early September, but by then the weather is kind of hit or miss around here.

-Mike