IGNORED

How difficult to replace struts?

MariaAZ

This is a totally newbie question, but how feasable is it for a person with moderate mechanical skills to replace front and rear shocks/struts? I've done quite a bit of work on our Zs and Fairladies (rebuilt carbs, swapped engines in one of the 1500s, rewiring, drop gas tanks, etc.) but when our mechanic said our Z cars needed suspension work and quoted the price, I thought it just might be something we could tackle. I read the Haynes manual as I've never done anything to the suspension, and it doesn't look too terribly difficult, but after reading a few threads here I'm starting to wonder if I'd be better off leaving this one to the pros.

You'll need a spring compressor if you have stock springs (or aftermarket springs that are pre-loaded), and either a big pipe wrench or very large channel-lock pliers to do it. If you've got those tools and you are capable of R&R-ing a motor, you should be able to do this job.

FWIW, I've done this many times over the years, both professionally and personally. Today, I can change all four struts on my Z in a half day at most, no air tools or hoist. It's not that difficult.

It's very possible. Compressing the springs is the only part where you'll need to exercise some caution. Arne put together a nice little step-by-step procedure here at one point:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24724

Let us know if you get stuck, but this is easily something that you can do yourself if you have the slightest bit of mechanical skill.

Thanks for the input! It doesn't really look difficult at all, I just KNOW I'll be suffering "while I'm at it"-itis though ;)

ETA; see, I'm already thinking "while I'm at it"; if I remove the springs and struts (I'm thinking "while I'm at it" I might replace the springs as well), what other parts would it make sense for me to replace at that stage?

Edited by MariaAZ

It is not that bad and it will make you that much more familiar with your car.

You could check on Atlantic z in their tech tips - it offers a very good breakdown on suspension and lots of other things.

I would have a look at all the bushings while your at it - it's essentially the bulk of the gear that you would have to remove to get at most of them. Might check out your ball joints and tie rod ends as well. Good time to look at your brakes too.

Good luck

How slow, out of curiosity? How would she measure? If the tires were hitting the fenders on moderate dips but was fine on flat ground without dips, how would she know if that were the springs or the struts?

Edited by DeMoore

Since the stock Z springs are linear rate (not progressive), if they haven't sagged significantly, they are fine. Excessive movement while driving is the struts, not the springs. In other words, if the spring rate has diminished enough to effect it while driving, the ride height will have dropped measurably.

Good questions, DeMoore. I've been looking through my Haynes and Clymer manuals for that information.

At this point in time, I want to bring my 260Z to pretty much factory specs. I'm not really worried about ride height or anything fancy. Hubby's '73 240Z might be a different story. In the future we'd probably want to put something a little fancier on his Z, as it's had a fair amount of mods done. A PO had installed sway bars and headers (and probably other mods that I'm not aware of) in an attempt to make a street racer. The head gasket was blown and one of the cylinders was badly scratched, so we opted to have the engine overbored (.030 I think) during a rebuild about 6000 miles ago. For the present though, I just want to correct the rough ride, and if I can get away with just the shocks I don't have a problem going back in at a later date and replacing the springs.

I've been reading that the gas shocks tend to raise the ride rather significantly. If I read correctly, this is most noticeable with stock springs. At this point I'll be picking up shocks from the local Checkers/Kragen or NAPA, all they sell are Monroes and KYBs. For the world of me I can't find the post where the height (at the rail I believe) was given. Both Zs have different symptoms; my 260 skitters about the road, and Hubby's 240 just is plain ol' rough. Would these symptoms indicate different suspension problems?

As far as inexpensive struts go, I'd choose the KYBs over the Monroes any day. Changing McPherson struts is a lot more work than standard shocks so in my opinion it is worth the expense to put in a really good struts so you don't have to do it again. I prefer Koni or Tokico.

Sounds like your Zs have different problems/issues.