IGNORED

A 1970 Z car approaches $30 grand!

Poindexter

Well said, John. Auctions like ebay give us a snapshot in time of what someone is willing to pay for a given car that may, or may not be, as described. That, in turn, let's us see price trends and learn what features seem to be valued by people with bucks who bid.

A 1970 Porsche 914-6 that I'm familiar with was recently on ebay. Bidding went to about $35,000 and the reserve was not met so it didn't sell. I know the owner and the car and am aware that it would take about $75K to replicate that car. There were less than 3,000 built and probably half of those are gone. Based on the high bid, does that mean that it's worth $35,000? Don't know.

Drive 'em, enjoy 'em, worry about how much money you put into 'em, not how much you'll get back. It's a hobby.

Dennis

Dennis- I have a friend who is a serious collector in California- he in fact owned all of my cars before me, which at one time included a mid-70's Porsche Targa with an seriously-upgraded engine, a Series 3 E-Type, V-12 Jag coupe, and my 2/71 Z. He also had tons of other cars going in and out during this time.

The cars he chose to drive most of all, for an entire year, were my 240Z, and his 914-6. That is a pretty telling tale. It must be an amazing handling car, as very few other cars got him as excited.

The Porsche is long gone, the Jag is being preserved in an incredible state, sold to a good friend, and I'm watching over the Z. And my primary reason for considering the values of these cars is replacement cost insurance. Original paint in my condition is getting incredibly rare, and it's one of the things I like most about my gal.

I would like to say that I am very surprised, and, then again, I am not surprised that this car didn't sell for it's $35,000 "Buy It Now" price.

I think that we did get a rare glimse of a seriously collectible 240z that would be offered to serious and capable collectors of fine automobiles. It is my opinion that most of the collectible 240z cars of this superior quality exchange ownership far from the public view so we really do not have a grasp of what comparable pricing would be.

I also think that the vagaries of public auctions like ebay are a detraction for most serious collectors who would rather not sell or buy in such an uncertain environment.

They do not necessarily seek the bargain price that is the mindset of most ebayers, but will find and pay for the best, and rarest of a particular breed.

I think that this was a rare opportunity to own your dream car, not instant equity if you are investing, but a car that will surely pay dividends in enjoyment of ownership and return every dollar should you want to sell in the future.

If I had the ability, I would have bought this car in less than a heartbeat, but I would like to qualify my emotional response to the fact that I really don't know what may be better and available someday.

Just my opinion.

Dan

Original Owner hls30-20419

These linked threads are all excellent, and I'm learning more and more from them. Thanks to you all.

This brings up a question I've always wondered about. For an original paint car, how much chip repair can ruin the value? Obviously it needs to be done well, but does it need to be done professionally or else?

I literally have less than 1 square foot of paint chip repairs spread out over the entire body, and half of it is on one rocker panel, shown here behind the LF wheel, where it looks like somebody pulled off a 4" x 10" section clean down to bare metal. The next largest spot is silver-dollar sized, and the rest are small chips, less than pencil-eraser sized, especially around the edges of the hatch.

post-16786-14150803816773_thumb.jpg

post-16786-14150803817128_thumb.jpg

I can't remember exactly - but didn't the 240Z on E-Bay that we are discussing - win Best In Stock Class at the ZCCA Convention in New York? Chris - didn't you judge that show? That was Dr. Hyzer's car and he was the original owner.

At any rate - speaking of values - a car that has been judged at a major event, by knowledgeable judges - will generally bring more money, only because prospective buyers have at least a better idea of the quality of a car they can't see.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Chris and I did judge that car and it is beautiful. I am always amazed when these low mileage original owner cars show up at a show. Carl, if you remember there was a car almost as nice that a young man had gotten from his grandfather that was also gorgeous. ANd he had no idea what a special car he had.

Fred............The car for sale in Georgia would cost mucho more than $30,000 to restore. I know and you know cause I've saved all receipts on my 71 restoration. The Safari Gold car in Atlanta is a bargain at $30,000 and probably so at $35,000........however doing it yourself is so much more fun....wouldn't you agree? Guy

Fred............The car for sale in Georgia would cost mucho more than $30,000 to restore. I know and you know cause I've saved all receipts on my 71 restoration. The Safari Gold car in Atlanta is a bargain at $30,000 and probably so at $35,000........however doing it yourself is so much more fun....wouldn't you agree? Guy

Guy-

I have to agree with you as I already have over $10k in mine including purchase price and everytime I put together a cost sheet the final $$$ always ends up around $30k. If I had invested more to start with I'd be finished... but where's the fun in that?:smoke:

Chris and I did judge that car and it is beautiful. I am always amazed when these low mileage original owner cars show up at a show. Carl, if you remember there was a car almost as nice that a young man had gotten from his grandfather that was also gorgeous. ANd he had no idea what a special car he had.

Hi Fred / everyone:

Yes - I remember the young man, and his Father was there with him. I think his Father had a full appreciation for the history of the car with his family. It really was a beauty - that needed only a few details corrected...

The Collector that was there with me, was torn... between making an offer on that car or not. He didn't want to make the young man and his Father agonize over making a decision to keep the car or paying for college expenses.. In the end the Collector decided not to say anything... although he did make an opening in the conversation - that if they had wanted to sell it - or put a price on it - he would have bought it on the spot.

FWIW,

Carl B.

As I recall, the kid won first in Stock. I don't remember the car we are discussing. Evidently, I was so impressed that I didn't take a picture of it. :bunny:

In this picture, the yellow car in front is the kid's. The red car behind it is Ed's from this site. He took first in Street Modified. And the silver car in back took the Gold Cup.

post-4148-14150803818516_thumb.jpg