IGNORED

A 1970 Z car approaches $30 grand!

Poindexter

Current ebay listing for item # 300240863803 is presently at $29,200 with the reserve not yet met! I hope it's not bogus. It really is a beautiful, apparently original (claimed) 920 Gold car- VIN #HLS30-14665. I leave that to all you eagle eyes. :D

Finishing at a bit after 1PM EDT. Not restored, and not a Program car. It would be nice to see more and more of these unmolested cars going for bigger bucks. It does make the barrier to entry higher for nicer cars, but rising waters raise all boats, as they say. It's about time the Z car enters the big time, IMHO.

I'm tired of seeing relatively undistinguished Vettes and Mustangs going for $50 grand- no offense to their owners- but those cars are measured in the hundreds of thousands, but with nice examples of Z cars well under $10,000, especially relatively rarer examples, numerically, it's a crying shame.

On a related subject, what is the gold standard of valuation for, say, 240Z's? It can't be mainly ebay auctions. There has to be a spreadsheet or table somewhere available where somebody really keeps tabs on values.

I'm attaching 4 pics for your enjoyment. Obviously I have a sweet spot in my heart for the 920 Gold cars! :love:

post-16786-14150803814317_thumb.jpg

post-16786-14150803814558_thumb.jpg

post-16786-14150803814676_thumb.jpg

post-16786-1415080381491_thumb.jpg

i don't know what a gold standard for Z's would be, as collector car values change all the time...but as a whole i think Z's are way under valued. afterall, what's the difference between a 2door mustang and a 2door Z? restoration costs are the same for each, or thereabouts.... original mustangs and original Z's share the same care and TLC over time as well....

not sure if Z's will ever get the respect they deserve :o(

i don't know what a gold standard for Z's would be, as collector car values change all the time...but as a whole i think Z's are way under valued. afterall, what's the difference between a 2door mustang and a 2door Z? restoration costs are the same for each, or thereabouts.... original mustangs and original Z's share the same care and TLC over time as well....

not sure if Z's will ever get the respect they deserve :o(

At its core, these are exactly my thoughts. Here we have what I believe is one of the truly greatest cars ever built- the Z's. Grand Touring at its best, light weight, sweet handling, a nice hatch/storage area, a special nimbleness and feel, the fantastic engine, an ability to modify almost every system leading to personalization and handling options in nearly any flavor imaginable, as well as a relatively huge stockpile of OEM parts and a thriving aftermarket. I could go on.

On the other hand you have a group of these "other" cars, which almost uniformly have greater market value across most of their classes. Why? It is difficult at best to compare an American muscle car, or mere two-seater with a lower-powered engine, in a Mustang or Corvette- just to pick 2- to the Z car, but in many opinions, and under many definable circumstances and uses, the Z's are "better" cars. To be fair, the same claim can be made for the "contenders" which have their own merits (and weaknesses).

The point is maddening and personal. Why aren't our Z's valued more highly? A painting is only worth what people will pay for it. Wishing that my car could be worth tens of thousands of dollars is not unreasonable but it won't make it so. And this is only one singularly extraordinary product that has so much untapped intrinsic value that is not being fully realized, IMHO. I think we can and should consider our options to come up with a strategy so that these great cars can achieve a greater public image and *thereby* perhaps a greater value in the secondary market.

It's certainly close enough to argue.

Here is a link to a previous thread about the car. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31195&highlight=ebay

The starting bid was $29k and I'm surprised there is a reserve on it beyond that point. Its a very nice car, but I guess I am in the minority that thinks $30K for a late 1970 with 50K miles is kind of high, even though it is in very good condition.

-Mike

oiluj: that's what we all thought 5 years ago...and 5 years before that...and 5 years before that....and 5.....:):):):):)

demoore: not sure about parts. reproduction parts for mustangs can't be that far off what Z parts are in Black Dragon or MSA catalogs....i would assume labor is the same if a shop does it

demoore: not sure about parts. reproduction parts for mustangs can't be that far off what Z parts are in Black Dragon or MSA catalogs....i would assume labor is the same if a shop does it

Agreed.

The difference is that with the relatively "valuable" classics, it makes much more sense (using the term loosely) to invest in a full and complete resto. (willing to spend $40k on a resto that will net you $60k...a little more difficult with an end value of $30k...)

There are also more suppliers, so competition would dictate that parts for these may even be slightly cheaper (also due to economies of scale in production due to higher demand).

Agreed.

The difference is that with the relatively "valuable" classics, it makes much more sense (using the term loosely) to invest in a full and complete resto. (willing to spend $40k on a resto that will net you $60k...a little more difficult with an end value of $30k...)

There are also more suppliers, so competition would dictate that parts for these may even be slightly cheaper (also due to economies of scale in production due to higher demand).

Agreed :)

Sports Cars in general have never been a significant part of the total American Automotive Market. So reason #1 for the current prices on Datsun 240-Z's is simply supply and demand for classic sports cars. Relatively very little supply but also relatively very little demand. When supply and demand are about equal, prices stabilize...

Within the class - the values of Datsun 240-Z's have done fairly well. Go find/buy a Triumph TR-6, an Opel GT, a MG-B GT, a Fiat 124 Coupe or a Porsche 914... today. All were in the same CLASS and price range when sold new, and there are a lot more 240-Z's still running than any of the others. I think you'll find that when comparing cars in the same category - the 240-Z's are highly valued today. Because they were so reliable and desirable lots of them are still around.

Go up a price class - to the Alfa's, Lotus, and lower end Porsche 912/911's... I think you'll still find the 240-Z's relatively highly valued....

I think it is unreasonable to expect buyers of Pony Cars, Muscle Cars - to have an interest in the Sports Cars of the late 60's to early 70's. Priced a daily driver 1968-72 Corvette latey?

FWIW,

Carl B.

I think it is unreasonable to expect buyers of Pony Cars, Muscle Cars - to have an interest in the Sports Cars of the late 60's to early 70's. Priced a daily driver 1968-72 Corvette latey?

FWIW,

Carl B.

Their is a 68 Vette at a dealership not to far from here, its orange and primered. They want 20 thousand dollars for it. But its a big block car.

Jags go for a fortune as well. I don't think the Z will ever be worth as much here in the U.S simply because it comes from Japan.