IGNORED

Datsun Driving CANBY Fun June 14 & 15

Bruce Palmer

Sounds like a good time, but if space is not an issue why would the powers that be cut off registration before the day of the show?

In an invitation only show, or one where space is limited I can understand, but I can't see a valid reason a club would limit its source of income from an event-and actually want to effectively keep cars out.

I am planning a local car show. What am I missing?

Will

Space is somewhat limited, so logistics of where they put different cars/group/tables/etc. is a bit time consuming. The early cut-off gives them concrete data as to how many cars of what type they have to group together in the 'judged' area.

This has consistently been one of the largest complaints leveled at the organizers of this event. But in reality, given that it is put on by a relatively small group of volunteers, it is an amazingly well put together and attended event.

The early registration is to set the different categories . This is not just a Z event. There are Roadsters , 5 10s , 1200s even Datsun Trucks. As well as the 350Zs. So if you don't preregister they cannot set a special category for you and you will be grouped with like cars , but but a modified may end up with the stock version. This is only for judging for the Trophies. Just to drive in and not be judged is $5.00 and you are eligible for the people's choice award.

Gary

Gary, are you sure you can just show up the day of and enter the show (albeit grouped with whatever like cars they have registered)? The DatsunsNW site says this

"If you didn't register in time, drive your Datsun or Nissan anyway. There is a special parking place for non-registered Datsuns and Nissans. You still won't be entered in the show but you'll at least get to park inside the show grounds and among friends for only $5."

That leads me to believe that if you missed the registration you are out of luck. Maybe it is different this year than in prior years. It doesn't matter for me, as I didn't want to be in the show anyway, but just curious what the policy is.

-Mike

Mike, I don't think he meant that unregistered vehicles would be grouped with registered ones. He was just explaining the nature of and reason for the early registration cut-off. And mentioned that the unregistered ones are still eligible for the people's choice award.

Basically, Unregistered cars, that show up the day of the show, will be put in the grass lot to the west of the entrance. That's what they did with our group, that showed up the day of the event and weren't registered.

It's basically a nice way to hang out with all your friends, possibly get a peoples choice Award, check out some nice Datsuns/Nissans and park inside the event, close to the action. Hell, most of the spectators don't even know your car is NOT in the show, and they look anyways.

Hope to see ya'll there,

Dave and Leah.

Ok, I guess I misread Gary's post then. It reads to me like he was saying that you could still be entered in the show even if you missed the registration cutoff, they just wouldn't be to create another category for you after the deadline. Just trying to clarify.

-Mike

... So if you don't preregister they cannot set a special category for you and you will be grouped with like cars , but but a modified may end up with the stock version. This is only for judging for the Trophies...

Gary

This is the link to their webpage:

http://www.datsunsnw.org/Canby08/

There you'll see :

If you didn't register in time, drive your Datsun or Nissan anyway. There is a special parking place for non-registered Datsuns and Nissans. You still won't be entered in the show but you'll at least get to park inside the show grounds and among friends for only $5.

Which is what Mike B said in post #29.

Essentially, if you did NOT register by paying $30 - 30 days in advance (35 this year they closed it on May 10 but who's counting), you are NOT eligible for any trophies or categories. There was also some confusion as to whether they were going to allow non-registered vehicles in to the fairgrounds (as per above) which was resolved.

FWIW

E

I am a member of a Z club and at our meeting Wednesday night and also at our previous monthly meeting . A member of the Datsuns N W club told us , both times. If you have not preregistered before the deadline that they will have closed the categories for judging. So if you arrive and want to be judged you can register at the gate pay the fee. However you will NOT be offered any separate class if your Car is other than a category already already established. For an example. If you are driving a 240 Z convertible 4 wheel drive. You would be in with the modified 240s, not in a separate class for convertible 4 wheel drive Zs. If you don't wish to be judged, then you pay the $5.00 fee and you will be included in the running for people's choice award. This is as clear as I can make it. From the information I was given. If this is in error , PLEASE , A MEMBER or OFFICER OF Datsuns North West come forward and clarify.

First off I am not affiliated with the club putting on the Canby show, and I cannot speak for them. I have only been passing on the information that has been given me in good faith. I called Bruce Palmer and asked him to talk to one of the board members and have them post to this thread and settle this once and for all. If what I have stated is not correct. I am surprised that by this late time of night there hasn't been a reply here, since I talked with Bruce about noon.

Gary:smoke: