IGNORED

280z 5 speed and 280zx 5 speed differences

bbcountach

"fill it"?

Do you mean putting in gear oil? If so does this difference cause a problem?

I had that trans (84 Maxima) in my 78. The fill on the other side didn't cause any problems. And it mounts exactly the same as the Z/ZX 5 speeds. Edited by sblake01

Here is what the seller said:

"The first one is from a running motor we just put apart, the seller said he had 110.000 miles on it and the other the seller said he had less than a 100.000 miles but with all seller i am taking there word"

Anything you can tell from these pictures? Any points of failure I can check for? I know what to look for in an old Toyota Land Cruiser tranny but here I an in the dark....

He wants $250 each by the way.

post-20328-14150815892784_thumb.jpg

post-20328-14150815893589_thumb.jpg

post-20328-14150815894267_thumb.jpg

post-20328-14150815894924_thumb.jpg

post-20328-14150815895606_thumb.jpg

post-20328-14150815896286_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

While we are on the topic of trannys, I want to replace the clutch master and slave cylinders on my S1, but I have a 5 speed. Shopping at the ZStore.com, it looks like there are about 7 different clutch master and slave cylinders set-ups. What would be the best way to make sure I buy the correct Master and Slave Cylinders for the car?

• 2 months later...

The price being asked of $250 is a very good one but I would want to have it rebuilt before installation.

One rear tab at the back of the tranny makes it a 1980-83 ZX (see photo of the one for sale above). All 77-79 trannies have two rear tabs (as do the 4-speeds).

Difference between early 5-speed (280A) and the ZX (280B) is only a concern if you race or drive your Z hard and up hills. The gap between 2nd and 3rd in a stock engine 240Z is noticeable. On a flat highway, not really.

if you're getting a 280B (ZX) tranny get the matching R200 diff (3:90 ratio).

• 1 year later...

Sorry for breathing life into an old thread, but better keep the info in once place, right?

I've recently bought and installed a 5 speed in my car, and encountered problems with the shifter hitting the center console.

From a lot of searching and reading, I now believe I have a Maxima gearbox, can anyone help me confirm this? (I bought it believing it came from a 280Z).

post-22755-14150830037372_thumb.jpg

My car is a 2/71. I had to remove a bit of metal in the front of the hole in the tunnel, as well as use the older style mount (not the one in the picture) to make room for my exhaust, as the newer style mount in the picture made the gear box sit too high.

Still, the shifter hits the center console (right behind the fuse box), so I actually had to break off some of the fiberglass to make room for the shifter.

Now the interesting part is that I have two Z's, both 71 models. However, one has the old gearbox mount and the other (9/71) has the newer type. The 5 speed I bought came with a prop shaft, so I have 3 in total, all which are different lengths. The cars have different center consoles (one with the ashtray behind the shifter), but none of these will fit properly with the 5 speed. Is the only solution to bend or cut/weld the shifter?

Thanks for your help! :classic:

Edited by Torby

Torby, personally, I would cut the console before bending the shifter.

The part of the console that needs cutting is mostly covered by the shift boot anyway.

Or if you use the console that has the sliding ashtray cover from the late 72 then you should have no interference at all, those consoles had a longer shift boot opening then the earlier ones.

Chris