IGNORED

I need everyones input on this one (Combo and T/S switches)

Zs-ondabrain

Sam,

Dave will probably come through with pictures before I can. I have a 260Z combo switch sitting in my garage. Unfortunately, I'll be a few hundred miles from my garage for the next couple of weeks. (Does anybody know when it's supposed to get warm in Canada?)

One bit of good news is that RockAuto has a replacement switch that looks like NOS for only $200. I put one in my 260Z. Also, VintageConnections has 9 wire connectors that will work with the headlight switch in case you want to replace the connectors.

thanks for the info

• 1 month later...

My 1971 240Z 6/71 manufacture required the longer leads. I purchased a replacement turn switch from BD but the leads were too short and they replaced it with one with longer leads. Even with the longer leads I was barely able to make the connection.

• 2 months later...

I have a 12/72 built 73 240z. It was a recent purchase in great shape, but am sorting through a few electrical problems. This thread has been interesting. The right signal is partly intermittent causing me to discover the rather interesting arrangement inside that switch. The high beam was also intermittent, but that cleaned up pretty easy with some contact cleaner and resolding.

I am a lil afraid to take the turn signal switch apart as the double rocker inside looks hard to get put back together.

This is my first foray into old z cars, but I am quite experienced in lbc's (lil british cars) so the Prince of Darkness (lucas) has me well used to taking apart things not really intended to be taken apart.

The prices I have found for replacement turn switches are rather shocking. Any advice on obtaining a long pig tail for my 73, or the ease of reassembly of that switches internals would be appreciated.

Off topic to the thread, but nearby electrically, my horn switch has nothing to pressure the switch to be normally open and I find the horn spontaneously sounding going around corners. Shouldn't there be some springs or something to pressure the switch open unless you press on the horn pad? None of the sellers out there seem to have anything on the horn switch and both Haynes and the factory manual I have downloaded are unenlightening.

Any advice would be welcome.

Jim Altman

jaltman@altlaw.com

Edited by jaltman

Over time, the horn tab will become missaligned with the steering wheels horn plate. Remove the columns cover and use a mirror or try and look behind the steering wheel and try and bend the tab back onto the center of the plate. You may also have to remove the turn signal switch. basically make sure that the horn tab is bend so that it has contact pressure against the plate but not so much that it will tear at or deteriate the plate and tab over time.

Yo may just have a loose screw on the tabs plastic holder.

Email me at wolfin32z@yahoo.com if you'd like me to rebuild your switches. It's a service I offer to the Z community and my prices are very reasonable. I have all the spare parts needed to rebuild everything back to where it Should be.

Dave

Yeah! There ya go! I need spring #21. It looks suspiciously like the spring for a weed-eater, I bet i can find something appropriate at the Home Depot.

Thank you and I apologize for hijacking the thread briefly, we now return you to turn signal and combo switches.

Zs-ondabrain, thanks, I will email you.

Yeah! There ya go! I need spring #21. It looks suspiciously like the spring for a weed-eater, I bet i can find something appropriate at the Home Depot.

Thank you and I apologize for hijacking the thread briefly, we now return you to turn signal and combo switches.

Zs-ondabrain, thanks, I will email you.

I think Ace Hardware carries a better selection of springs. If you can't find something there, you could look at Grainger (though it's more expensive).

Ace is definitly the place! However I was highly dismayed, after shopping at a neighborhood Ace for 25 years, to find them gone on my last trip. The not too far away HD and Loews must have finally done them in. The spring dept at Loews did not have anything nearly appropriate, but as expected, a weedeater spring, a pliers and some spreading of the coils produced an ugly but sufficent spring load on the nylon thingee.

Thanks all.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...