IGNORED

What are the Worst issues with entering a car show

hls30.com

What are the issues when considering entering a ar show that you must travel for.  

138 members have voted

1. 1. What are the issues when considering entering a ar show that you must travel for.

• Drive/ Trailer/ Transport
    • Lodging
    • Parking
    • Time off from work/family scheduling
    • Cost of Gas/Transport
    • Safety of the entered car once it is there.
    • Local Transportation(at the show)
    • Where to detail the car if driven to the show(covered area)
    • How to get the trophy home.
    • Will the car be ready?
    • What did I miss?
    • Getting damaged on the way/at the show.
    • Mechanical issues
    • Stress
    • What extras to pack to show with the car/tools tools to bring.

Perfect example would be the MSA Z car Nationals coming up this April. Trying to find a babysitter or responsible adult to keep an eye on 3 boys (8, 15, and 16) and 2 girls (10 and 12). Who does'nt want a small fortune to keep the house up, watch the kids and get them off to school and get them in bed for the 5+ days that we'll be gone.

We'll spend almost $1000 for Gas, Food, Hotel, Gifts for the kids and the possible "Gotta have it" part for the car found at the show. I work my butt off from December to April to make sure we're able to save enough to do all that and also make sure the Z is well taken care of before and during the trip, cause if it breaks anywhere between leaving the driveway and pulling back in 5 days later, I'd better have cash or a good back up plan.

The 2400 mile round trip takes its toll on the car so we pack alot of metal polish, cleaners, towels and spare parts for the "just in case" things. 2 Chairs clearly identifiable as ours, small cooler for drinks in the possible hot sun, sun lotions and blockers, books to read to, from and while we're there, tools (tool bag) All of the cloths for both of us, pillows, jackets, munchies, smokes, cell phone with chargers for the hotel and car and Last but not least, As many upgrade harness's and parts to sell while we're there (to make money for the trip back.)

Oh ya, business cards for those who find me and want more details on the things I do.

Good questions though, hard to pick just one.

Dave.

The drive to the show. Like dave said 2400 miles is a long way to go for a show.

But in my defense, It technically is a Vacation, I only get one every few years. So we try and make th most of it. But the best part is getting away from the house and meeting people who love the same things we do.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

So much depends on the distance traveled. I also will be driving over 2000 miles to the Nationals . Even with almost everything done on my Z she is still a 35 year old car. So a roll of duct tape and a length or bailing wire will be in the tool box LOL . I know when I have traveled a couple of hundred miles from home , in the past, I am aware of every sound and vibration. There are a few of us from the Portland/Vancouver area planning on making the run south, and stopping at Solvang for the Roadster show on the way down. Gary

Any trip anywhere in a show car can have its small incidental problems, especially long-distance ones.

For me, it's it the show with that "Why did the judge deduct for?" question, or "the judge was totally wrong!" problem. The ZCCA judging form only has a spot to put the number of points deducted, but there's no place for the judge to justify WHY, like why did they deduct 5 pts. for interior? That's a really big area, and you would only have to guess. You could even have had a professional guy fix up the interior, and get the 5 points off? For what, dirty carpet, radio knobs not all aligned, or loose threads on the shifter?

ith the

The other thing has to do with bonifide mistaked by the judge ( or an unqualified one.) At the first Z-car show ever I ewrnt to, I got deducted because my "glovebox light didn't work?" It worked perfectly fine! As long as you turn on the running light, like the owner's manual says.

As usual, once the judge is done, you can't protest a bonifide mistake by him. Obviously, every owner there would if it was allowed, but there ought to be a formal procedure for it. If enough protests were put up against a judge, then maybe that person shouldn't be judging or should get better educated?

JMO-

thxZ

There is a specific line for comments for each item being judged. I instruct folks that they should write things like: dirty, rusty, non-OEM, cracked, etc. to show why they deducted points. The glove box light issue is old and no longer applies.

As to protesting a score, it's done all the time.

If you want to score well, then have an experienced ZCCA judge, PRE-JUDGE your Z a few weeks before a show. Then correct everything he/she finds and you will then be that much closer to winning in your class.

No rocket science needed...................just hard work (and a lot of money).

• 2 weeks later...

wow

I complain because I have to get up at 4 a.m. on Show Day to get ready for the 40-mile drive to Oak Canyon Park, but I guess I have it much better than anyone who is coming from out of state! I admire you guys who take a whole week or two to come out here to Cali. That's true Z love! :love: