IGNORED

240Z " the long way to new again"

Did some work on the engine..and leave the body work for rest for this month. ( First get some help )So get engine and transmisson ready.

Plans with engine:

- 45 mm Webers or Mikuni Carbs.

- E30 Head flowed, polished chambers, Lightened valves.

- Let the original camshaft regrind of get "stage III of IV cam"

- Enlighten the crankshaft.

- Motorsport exhaust headers.

- Flywheel lightened.

Also need to find a dealer or something here for gaskets and stuff.

As far as i am now ( Also some pics of more car parts of it ):

dsc01474ce9.jpg

dsc01472qr6.jpg

dsc01476hu6.jpg

dsc01477yh4.jpg

dsc01483ob9.jpg

dsc01484wb6.jpg

dsc01485eu4.jpg

dsc01486qq7.jpg

Did some work today, removed the drivers side rotten floor pan and the rest that was gone to rust. Tomorrow put the new floor in. And then start with the spair-wheel part in the back.

:nervous: Chop chop.........

dsc01495pa1.jpg

And there it is..

dsc01497kg4.jpg

Using this section that i cut out, as a mall for reconstruction for both sides.

dsc01496se4.jpg

Well thanks Bart ( same name :nervous: ) I think after the biggest work is done it will be more easy. But rust serious took revenge on this Z :stupid:

I'm almost cutting 1/3 of rusty/crispy Z.

:pAnyhow today the second floor reconstruction in...

dsc01499ne7.jpg

And part of the frame-rail cut away, litterly kilo's of "loose" rust inside the rail that i removed LOL... Anyway wat's left will stay, surface rust will be removed, zinksprayed and then welded shut again with some new metal.

dsc01501rd0.jpg

It's like a big adventure man.....

Did they really put the flat top U.S. specification carbs and the 5 MPH bumpers on the cars that went to Europe?

I believe the answer to this is NO based on what I've read, however we have no idea where the car was originally obtained from. If I recall correctly Europe, or at least the UK, didn't get the Z until late 1973 or 1974 in the form of the 260Z so this may have been imported privately at a later date. Perhaps one of the European Z experts will chime in on this and provide some better info.

The man which i bought it from..his son worked on this project. He had it first and imported from USA and later he sold it..and by lucky he found his car back again one day and bought it back to restore.. that's when i bought it.

Yeah it's nice to find that out later, let's fix her first. Today i completed almost one side of the chassis rails! And at the end of the day i flipped turned her round and fitted the doors and fenders to see everything is still okay. But it's good and everything is okay. More pictures coming tomorrow....

I believe the answer to this is NO based on what I've read, however we have no idea where the car was originally obtained from. If I recall correctly Europe, or at least the UK, didn't get the Z until late 1973 or 1974 in the form of the 260Z so this may have been imported privately at a later date. Perhaps one of the European Z experts will chime in on this and provide some better info.

Somehow you are right, but i belive it was in 71-72 we got it, i use to own a -73 20+ years ago and it was a original euro model, what i have read is that we never got the ealy Z or Roadsters here, except that my uncle who's father was a Datsun dealer, knew about another dealer who got a Roadster back then.

Chris

If I recall correctly Europe, or at least the UK, didn't get the Z until late 1973 or 1974 in the form of the 260Z so this may have been imported privately at a later date. Perhaps one of the European Z experts will chime in on this and provide some better info.

Where does this kind of misinformation come from?

Mainland Europe got the HLS30 in 1970, and a car was shown at the 1970 Geneva Motor Show. The UK Motor Show had an HS30 in 1970 too, but bulk UK deliveries were delayed by changes to UK Type Approval legislation, and changes had to be made to the lighting on the UK market models to legalise them. Bulk UK deliveries of the HS30 started in early 1971.

Bart has already mentioned that his car came from the USA. Therefore it seems pretty unlikely that it will have been anything other than a standard North American market model. However, anything could have happened to it over its long life, and any 'non-standard' or unusual parts it is now wearing should be viewed in that light.

Alan T.

Hanged the door in the fairlady to see if the body shell is still okay and straight. Everything okay ( door is just loos in it in the picture, not "positioned") so there are some edges. But that's later care.. i took it al off again and flipped her on the back again. Tomorrow another day, and this week i will be working alot on it. Keep you guys updated. ROFL

I looked @ her again after a couple of beers :D, and realized this baby needs serious attention, the doors front fender got holes also ( where not ? ), dammit....

Some pictures...

DSC01507.JPG

DSC01508.JPG

DSC01509.JPG

Drivers side framerails ready for most of the part. The rails under the floorpans still to come also..

DSC01512.JPG