IGNORED

240Z aftermarket A/C wiring question. HELP!

Zs-ondabrain

The Sanden SD508 is simply a better compressor than the upright York. The main problem with the 'York' system is the design. It pulls the cold air through the system rather than pushing it like most factory systems. Using a rotary type compressor will make that system cooler but it won't ever be as cool a a system with a center mounted evaporator. I don't think the bracket is reversible. I don't have a picture of the Sanden on the driver's side on a 240Z but here are the others.

York on driver's side:

63ubafp.jpg

York on passenger side:

6c3lutw.jpg

Sanden on passenger side:

62rit6s.jpg

• 3 years later...

• 8 years later...

71Z..where does the positive black wire on the AC compressor hook up to? a mechanic's did some work on my electrical system and left that wire lose. Does it hook up to the AC control thermostat box if it does but were? when I look in the back there's only one red wire hooked up going back  torn Center panel. the black wire from the compressor clutch is just hanging there  it's been cut. Does it need to be hooked up to the positive blower motor ?

Edited by tetert1

19 hours ago, tetert1 said:

71Z..where does the positive black wire on the AC compressor hook up to? a mechanic's did some work on my electrical system and left that wire lose.

Which side is hanging?  The compressor side or the harness side?  Does the car have factory AC and you just got a new compressor?  Or is the new AC system completely new?

You posted in somebody else's "aftermarket" AC thread so it's not clear what you're working with.

It's a 71 Z with a factory AC it was working at one time. the guy was supposed to fix my gauges and lights and he took out a whole bunch of wires and put some gauges in on the bottom of the  glove box I left the car there and when I came back a few weeks later he did all the stuff I didn't even tell him to anyway I'm trying to get the AC hooked up again and running the clutch compressor positive wire comes through passenger side. And it was tied up by the thermostat control box where does it hook up to. I have seen a 72 and it goes in by the driver side and runs up to where the fuse boxes and it does have a fuse in the line..  tomorrow I'll try to take some pictures and show you what I mean on the 71 Z

Use a meter or a test light and see if the wire gets power when you move the lever to AC.  There's only a single wire to the clutch, it ground through its mounting points, I think.

Find the wire that powrs up with the lever at AC and connect it to the wire at the compressor.  

Couldn't find a 71 diagram, but here is 76, showing the ground circuit.  Your 71 might not have the magnet valves.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

There is no lever to power on the AC you just turn on the fan switch and turn the thermostat control to the right and a tiny green light comes on and cold air starts coming out the vents so where does the black positive wire from the compressor hook up to? Maybe I need to hook it up 2 a positive wire to the blower fan motor with a toggle switch. When I hooked a positive wire from the battery to the loose black wire from the clutch the green light from the control thermostat box came on

9 minutes ago, tetert1 said:

There is no lever to power on the AC you just turn on the fan switch and turn the thermostat control to the right and a tiny green light comes on and cold air starts coming out the vents so where does the black positive wire from the compressor hook up to? Maybe I need to hook it up 2 a positive wire to the blower fan motor with a toggle switch. When I hooked a positive wire from the battery to the loose black wire from the clutch the green light from the control thermostat box came on

The 71 guys would know for sure.  You're almost there by yourself though.  Just figure out how the green light could come on.  71 might have a ground circuit back through the green light.

Learn how the AC compressor clutch works.  It's just an electrical system.  You can do it.  Seriously, it will be good for you.  When you turn the thermostat control to the right you must be competing the circuit through the AC compressor.  Just ask yourself "how can this be?"

A caution to be aware of... My car had the dealer A/C with the York compressor mounted on the drivers (left) side above the air pump. I had also installed a Champion 3 row aluminum radiator and the dual electric fans from MSA. The fans on the provided shroud won't fit with the old York mounted where it was. I bought this compressor upgrade kit for my 240Z that mounts where my deleted air pump was and it fits just fine along with having the Sanden compressor upgrade.