IGNORED

What finish should headers have

hls30.com

What finish should headers have? Sellect all that apply!  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What finish should headers have? Sellect all that apply!

I like the look of the ceramic coated ones - I hope they actually work as advertised as well. I guess one day I'll find out. Mine are just waiting to go. G

I voted for the ceramic since that is something I've already put on my headers. They were the "JET HOT" ceramic coating. Initially after about 2 years my headers started to rust just above the collector. This was while I lived in San Diego. I sent them back to Jet Hot and they recoated them with a 50% discount. This was 3 years ago and they still look pretty good (I've only put 1500 miles on my car in the last 3 years).

Now one thing I noticed we don't have on the survey is powder coating. I talked to a powder coater a few years back and he told me that the high temp powder coating for header is actually better that ceramic. Cooler and it lasts longer.

I researched my options and went with the ceramic from JetHot. I had them coated inside & outside hoping to reduce underhood temperatures and reduce heat transfer to the intake manifold. Don't know how effective it is yet because they are still in a cardboard box.:D

I'm partial to headers that shine... stainless or chrome. I've got a set of chrome ones hanging on the wall waiting to be mounted. I don't suggest a wrap unless you are racing. I've seen them after being unwraped, and it was an ugly sight of rust... Just my opinion....

I too have the ceramic coated headers from MSA. They dissapate heat quicker after shut-down (engine off). If under hood temps are lower, it's because the wind from moving the vehicle, is allowed to cool the headers more efficiently with ceramic than other coatings. I can touch my header alot sooner after shut-down than I could with the steel header on there.

If I am just sitting there, idling, the engine bay temps rise pretty quickly. I don't remember it getting as hot as fast with the steel header. but I could be wrong.

Dave.

I have set of old school JanSpeed s/s headers with slip-on collectors. These are over 25 years old! Other than discoloration due to use and age, they are as good as new. NO coating out there will perform like that. While specialized coatings do aid underhood heat and possibly create more efficent exhaust performance they are short lived. I've used JetHot and plasma sprayed aluminum coatings. Both worked well but failed to last any significant time. I love my stainless.

I'm another fan of the ceramic coated headers and have them on my L28. They've been on the Z for 5 years now and the only change I've noticed is a slight dulling of the finish....other than that, they still look in perfect condition. I do agree with the logic for using S.S. headers.....put them on and forget about them. Ti would be nice but, spendy!

Tom