IGNORED

Oil pan drain bolt washer

dimsum

Hello

This is a very basic, newbie question (I think):

I have never done an oil change on a 240Z before, but have done plenty on Hondas. Hondas have an aluminum crush washer for the oil pan drain bolt. This is a one-time use washer that you replace each time you drain your oil.

Do Datsun 240Z's have a similar washer that needs to be replaced?

Thanks.

Sorry to disagree, but there is a copper crush washer that should be changed with your oil change. These are still available at Nissan Parts.

Called the local dealership, and they do offer a copper washer. I don't think it's specific to the 240Z. Most likely a universal washer for all Nissans.

I'll try this out, and if it seeps, I'll try the fiber ones like Beandip recommended.

Thanks for the help.

All my Nissan's have a copper washer. Z's, 240SX and Xterra. If the underside of the pan plug and the area around the pan hole is not buggered up, the copper washer will seal every time and not leak. I do wish the Z pan plug had more of a washer incorporated into the hex. The S13 and the X have much better pan plugs than the Z.

I use one new OEM Nissan washer after about 4 oil changes. I've tried auto parts and hardware store versions and they are too thick. The Nissan washer has a certain crush factor that when tightened conforms to the plug and the pan surface. But after awhile it kind of tears/shreds and then its time for a new one.

FWIW, I work at a truck dealership and we use coppers on all the major engine's pan plugs also. Mack, Cat, Cummins, Detroit Diesel and Mercedes Benz.

Chris A.

P.S. Courtesy Nissan in Texas can get you some.

What causes the copper washers to seep is that sometime in the past the plug was installed without the washer creating gouges in the mounting surface. As long as that has never been done the copper washer will seal fine. I change them with about the same frequency as Chris.

Dan is correct the drain plug does use a copper washer. I think this is the part number 11026-61000. It should be noted new Nissan's have a smaller diameter drain plug so one size does not fit all. I have also heard of people using a plastic washer.

You can anneal the copper washer by heating them dull red with a propane torch then cool. either air or water copper doesn't care. You then have a nice soft washer for reinstallation. copper work hardens so when tightened a few times it gets hard.