IGNORED

240Z Header Recommendation

jmark

Looks like Nissan Sport Magazine is going to take my suggestion and do test of the main headers available for a stock 240Z motor. Art's car will be the test bed. Hopefully they can test examples from MSA 3-2 & 6-1 1 1/2" primary, Stahl 1 3/8" & 1 1/2" 3-2, Nissan Motorsports 1 5/8" primary, Arizona Z 1 1/2" primary & Pacesetter.

Looks like Nissan Sport Magazine is going to take my suggestion and do test of the main headers available for a stock 240Z motor. Art's car will be the test bed. Hopefully they can test examples from MSA 3-2 & 6-1 1 1/2" primary, Stahl 1 3/8" & 1 1/2" 3-2, Nissan Motorsports 1 5/8" primary, Arizona Z 1 1/2" primary & Pacesetter.
Bump for those who missed this.

Hi,

I use a Clifford Research (Clfford Performance) header with a stock L24, stock L28, and a L28 with a E31 & N42 head, and it has lasted well over 20 years. It was sold through Nissan orginally with their dual exhaust (in the early 70's). I beleive the header is still available, but the dual exhaust is long gone. It even had a option for smog fittings. Fits greaat, stock shield fits, however, you need to use a Nissan thick gasket. There motto: 6=8

Not sure how to contact these guys, but they make/made a ton of stuff for I6 for Jeeps, Fords, Chevy, etc..... They were located in Corona, CA. There web page was/or still is: cliffordperformance.net

Great product, if they still made that orginal dual exhaust that they produce for Nissan Motorsport, I would buy it in a minute. I had it on my Z in the 70's, the write up was " it would wake up the nearly dead"........:classic:

There is a NOS Clifford Research Header for a round port on ebay right now.

Nothing against, Sal or the guys at MSA, but Stahl headers are already available from Classic Datsun, and the pricing should be better from Les.
Ron, I asked Les for his opinion and he mentioned if price was no object go with the Stahl. I did not get the impression he carried the Stahl line. He also felt that the new MSA headers were decent. I have ordered many items from Les & Sal. As far as I am concerned both do a great job for the Z community & I have great respect for both of them.

I will tell you that I am biased, MSA is fine, and Sal is a good guy.

Les is the smaller player who sells service with his parts so I try to support him as best I can. I am sure it is different for you because you are across the country from both these locations. MSA and Les are less than 50miles from my location.

I will tell you that I am biased, MSA is fine, and Sal is a good guy.

Les is the smaller player who sells service with his parts so I try to support him as best I can. I am sure it is different for you because you are across the country from both these locations. MSA and Les are less than 50miles from my location.

No problem. I wish I had the choices you have there. Les would redo my 71 240Z one day! I have spent more than I care to admit in both stores....:ermm: From what Sal says there is not much margin on the Stahl headers so maybe Les doesn't push them.

Les is not a margin guy. Anyone who knows Les well, knows that he will recommend the right thing for you, even if it costs him a sale.

His detailed knowledge of these cars is amazing but narrow. He does nothing with FI cars, or any of the later Z and ZX cars. His niche covers all Roadsters, 210's, 510's and 240, 260 and a little with the 280Z's.

He doesn't have a catalogue, and minimal overhead. He has a fine collection of rare hard to find parts, a number of racing and high performance parts.

He specializes in restorations, mostly roadsters, and 240Z's and an occasional 510. His work is the best I have ever seen and he is going 100 different directions on 30 different projects at any given time. If anything he can be a little short on the phone because he is that busy, and he gets a lot of calls for stuff that he does not deal with. So when you call him be sure to be specific regarding your call.

Les also does race support for me and 5 other datsun race cars in his "spare time", and he is trying to parlay that into a business rather than doing restorations. His motors are excellent, and my 2000 roadster continues to run extremely well with a full season of racing. I have several race transmissions that have been built or refreshed by his shop. Hard to find parts for my Ultra close and Medium Close roadster transmissions are always a challenge and Les has been there to make it happen each time. The same with my differentials for my roadster...

I will get off my soap box now....