IGNORED

?? White Interior

troubledz

The '72 that I bought new was orange with a white interior. The complete interior (except the standard black rugs and belts) was white as I recall. The '72 that I have now has a red interior with all matching as mentioned above.

I've never heard of a mixed interior. Do you know the original color of your car? If so that might help determine if the white is correct or the black is correct. Since the plastic panels are more likely to get damaged and are easier to switch out my guess is that the white was original.

The color of the car is Orange.. so this is what is white inside of the car : Headliner, Vinyl tunnel and rear shock towers, and lower quarter panel trim...

So the PO must have changed it to black..

I like the idea of having all white interior but fear of keeping it clean as my dog travels everywhere with me..

I have a white headliner with black seats, vinyl, rugs, door panels, etc. I always thought this was odd...the car is red, and the interior is original (except seats).

Slightly different than yours, but still seems odd to me...

Upon what do you base the belief that the interior is "original"? Pictures of the car when new at the Selling Dealership? A signed waver - from the original purchaser to the Dealership stating he would not make them put the correct interior parts in at a later date?

Sorry, I don't think you'd find a Datsun Dealer that would have sold the car with non-standard color mixed interior bits/pieces - - - without first fixing it and charging the factory - in the unlikely event that it somehow got out of the factory that way in the first place.

FWIW,

Carl

Carl,

Well, I see your point, but I am going under the impression that not too many of these were sold with anything OTHER than black interiors.

So based on that, I would conclude that the headliner is not the correct color. It's odd someone would swap it out to make it white, so you could assume that the original interior was white and everything else was swapped to make it black. Judging by the quality of the black pieces, I would tend to think it's the headliner that's not original.

This is a question of the authenticity of the materials, it's trying to determine which is the correct period color.

BRE - I've seen this, but in line with Carl's point, I really have no idea what the original paint code was. For all I know, it's been repainted.

However, again making an assumption, pulling back the carpet and looking at the paint underneath implies my car is 110 red. I had another Z guy look at it and think the same. Per the info on Carl's site, the interior is "white/black".

I don't know if that means "white with black" or "white OR black"...I just want to find out what's period correct....

I don't know if that means "white with black" or "white OR black"...I just want to find out what's period correct....

The white/black comment indicates that the interior was available in that paint code with either a white or a black interior.

In light of the white headliner in your car, I would imagine that your car was probably white inside, originally. Somewhere along the line, the original interior panels became damaged or were removed for some other reason, and replaced with the much-easier-to-find black panels.

Of course, it is entirely possible that someone would swap out the headliner in your car with one that was the wrong color, in this case white, but it's a lot of effort to engage in for not much apparent gain.

OPB: rdefabri

Carl,

Well, I see your point, but I am going under the impression that not too many of these were sold with anything OTHER than black interiors.

So based on that, I would conclude that the headliner is not the correct color. It's odd someone would swap it out to make it white, so you could assume that the original interior was white and everything else was swapped to make it black. Judging by the quality of the black pieces, I would tend to think it's the headliner that's not original.

You seem a bit confused here:

First - The headliner is incorrect, based on your belief that black was the dominate interior color.

Second - The headliner is correct, because it would be harder to swap out than the other pieces.

Third - The headliner is incorrect, due to the other pieces being of better quality.

I would tend to go with the second for three reasons. It is harder for the average "do it yourself" person to replace as opposed to replacing the other pieces mentioned. Second, as time goes by, the blue, white, maroon and butterscotch interior parts got harder to find and more expensive when you can find them. And lastly, the headliner is less likely to get damaged and need replacing, unlike the other pieces.

So therefore, I conclude that your interior was originally white. :D