IGNORED

Reinstalling fender - caulk, foam?

SteveInOakland

Steve:

That is EXCELLENT!

SNIP... Any debris that would catch in the corrugated sides could be washed away with a healthy dose of water as in my system.

GOOD JOB! :love: :love: :love:

E

I have had enough of these ridged flexible pipes clog up with debris getting caught cross wise in the ridges that I am a little leery of using it. The fix is still much better then letting the water and silt wash on to the rocker panel and fender.

I will stay with the smooth wall tubing if possible. Still second E's comments great thoughts.

That will work Steve. Jim has a point about debris collecting. Especially in an area with pine needles. But being the guy that installed it, you know what to watch out for. It's easy enough to back flush also. I only have one question...What are you using the other 21 1/2' for?? LOL

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I always wondered why Z's seemed to start to rust in that particular spot, and now I know why... As long as it is sort of on topic, is there a post or a particular source for removing the fender? I just got a '77 280Z and need to remve the fenders for this very reason (among others).

Walter:

The fastest way to get you the information is for you to pick up either the Factory Shop Manual (FSM for short) for the year of your car OR Wick Humble's book How To Restore Your Datsun Z Car (check Amazon or Google it).

In a brief nutshell, there is one bolt just under the windshield frame, two on the underside of the rocker, and several on the inside of the fender's engine bay edge. There are also several holding the headlight "sugar scoop" and turn signal valance to the lower front valance panel. There will be a few slight variations due to your vehicle having the turn signals in the grille rather than on the valance, and you'll have to remove the bumper etc, but for the most part just follow the edges of the fender and you'll find all you need to remove.

FWIW

E

I've taken mine off the 77 a few times. Easiest way is to remove the wheel. Then take out the fender liner,remove the headlight and unbolt the the bumper end from the fender. Leave the headlight scoop on ,it's easier to remove off the car if needed.Remove the side lamp then unbolt the lower front valance and the rest of the bolts are where Escalon stated.