IGNORED

Read by wait to post...What original part of the S30 has the poorest design?

hls30.com

WHat one original part(or system) of the S30 has the poorest design  

80 members have voted

1. 1. WHat one original part(or system) of the S30 has the poorest design

• The freakin' spindle pins!
    • The fastening system at the bottom of the fenders.
    • The heater valve
    • The seals on the body (hose and taillight seals)
    • the Shifter bushings
    • the Hatch
    • The electrical system
    • The paint
    • Water pump fastening system
    • The crank shaft pulley fastener system
    • The half shafts
    • the headlight buckets
    • The weather Seal system
    • The Previous Owner System
    • You just don't have a clue it is the ...

I'd like to add the cardboard glovebox to this list. Dang thing was a pain to get out and usually got messed up during the process. I eventually replaced it with a plastic one from either a 280Z or ZX, don't remember which. Anyway, I just cut the front sides, top and bottom to match the 240 box, and never had a problem since.

i would have to say the worst thing to fix, or worst designed, portion of the car, would be the spindle pins. the first time i tried to take them out i tried doing it in the car, and soon found that was a bad plan. so i took them out and worked on them in the basement and managed to get one side out. the other side i worked on for a couple days and decided to take in to the shop to see what they could do. three shops later and i found a guy that put a 40 ton hydrolic press on it and still couldn't budge it. with the addition of a lot heat though it finally came out.

i would have to say the worst thing to fix, or worst designed, portion of the car, would be the spindle pins. the first time i tried to take them out i tried doing it in the car, and soon found that was a bad plan. so i took them out and worked on them in the basement and managed to get one side out. the other side i worked on for a couple days and decided to take in to the shop to see what they could do. three shops later and i found a guy that put a 40 ton hydrolic press on it and still couldn't budge it. with the addition of a lot heat though it finally came out.

Proper tools make the job of pulling the pins a easy chore. I just pulled mine , they were originnal in a '73 . I pulled them while in the car . Took about 20min a side. Removing the bushings was a different matter. Gary I have a puller that I loan to members.

I haven't owned a 240Z for any length of time but with the 280Z....the worst design award has to be the damned HVAC system. The magnetic solenoids placed on the passenger strut tower and then the ignorant routing of all of those vacuum lines coupled with the infitely more durable heater cables. What a mess. I am about two minutes away from removing all of that sh** and replacing it with a vintage air system.

If you are lucky you own a non-factory A/C car without all of those assinine vacuum lines and vacuum pods under the dash.

Without a doubt the worst overall problem is the lack of care in design/assembly with regard to rust/prevention. This is true all the way from 1970 to 1983. There is no difference. The bottom of the fenders attract rust. The cowl area in the ZX (not openly accessible like in the Z), front fender attachment points and the spare tire well. It is totally about rust. Think about it, what is the first thing we suggest on the forum to anyone looking at one of these cars, without a doubt it's rust!

The infamous spindle pins are a product of long term use without anti sieze on installation. I popped my original 75 Z's spindle pins in the driveway in 1980, no problem with a brass drift and 2 lb. sledge. Yet the same car on purchase in 79 already had through holes in the rear fender corners around the hatch, the latch area above the lights, the bottom seam of the body inside the gas cap door and at the sideview mirrors on both doors (West Palm Beach Car). My first sheet metal welding experience was fixing the holes with one of those oxy-tablet/propane welders.