IGNORED

Read by wait to post...What original part of the S30 has the poorest design?

hls30.com

WHat one original part(or system) of the S30 has the poorest design  

80 members have voted

1. 1. WHat one original part(or system) of the S30 has the poorest design

• The freakin' spindle pins!
    • The fastening system at the bottom of the fenders.
    • The heater valve
    • The seals on the body (hose and taillight seals)
    • the Shifter bushings
    • the Hatch
    • The electrical system
    • The paint
    • Water pump fastening system
    • The crank shaft pulley fastener system
    • The half shafts
    • the headlight buckets
    • The weather Seal system
    • The Previous Owner System
    • You just don't have a clue it is the ...

How about the rear suspension uprights? I still shudder when I think of the uprights hanging down around the diff trying to cope with the side loading force from the control arms in a tight turn.

Or how about the front differential mount? Who thought that putting a rubber mount in there that could be pulled apart by the lifting force on the front of the diff was a good idea? And then to back it up you use a strap??? Horrible design. It should be designed with a mount that is used in compression, so that when the diff comes up it compresses the mount. If not, then it should be made to control the amount of lift, like a newer American style engine mount that interlocks so that if the rubber does fail the nose of the diff can't come up, but instead you just get vibrations. I've seen too many lift up and beat the hell out of the tranny tunnel.

I was just thinking about this today while wreanching on the 240. I have to say the head design. Datsun ran into problems with fuel vaporizing and came up with all sorts of things to fix it. Covered the fuel lines, heat shields, electric pumps, and cut a hole in the hood and cover it with a weird fiberglass vent. Why didn't they just redesign the head and make it into a crossflow. The carbs and the lines would be out of the heat on the other side of the motor and power would have jumped up a bit. It would have looked great too. Aside from that, the water pump sucks.

Water pump is a well known weak spot. Bearings needed to be beefier especially with original all steel fan.

Melt sheet applied over floorpans was applied over bare metal. Any chip in the melt sheet results in rapid spreading of rust underneath.

Body design (rear) creates vortex which encourages exhaust to enter hatchback.

All of this aside it is an awsome car.

I'd have to say the entire car has weak points.

The unibody design and the lack of rust protection was a huge miss. It is now very apparent the body design doesn't accomodate for sealed seams, protected panels, and rust prevention.

The engine and the emissions were not designed properly and seemed to be a major "afterthought"... They should have designed the emissions into the car and created a powerplant that could handle that kind of government regulation.

The electrical wiring was not designed for an automotive application. There are many problems with moisture build-up and corrosion that cause melt-downs (fuse block) and main fusable link. The engine compartment connections would operate a lot better if better components were used.

Under-panel foam seals rotted out and long-term maintenance was not planned ahead very well. Rear spindle pins were not sealed units and 90% of any modern restoration will include replacing these parts.

Suspension parts were not planned for enough adjustment. Oil-based shocks leaked and required waay too much maintenance. Rear drum brakes are a pain and why didn't they think to use disk in the rears?

Stereo system was not sufficient for adequate sound or enjoyment. Who wants AM radio and a single speaker?

Most of the items I listed above are due to the ERA the car was designed and built. The 70's was still a major learning experience for the car industry and it wasn't until the late 80's and 90's that car manufacturers started to get things "right" with these components. I'd have to say a major portion of that advancement was due to the computer and engineering processes moving in the direction of computer simulation and design.

When compared to other cars designed/built in the 70's, I believe Datsun was ahead of the game.