IGNORED

Oddessey

JLPurcell

• 5 months later...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

jerry your story has given me some wonderfull inspiration.although i now have a 260.i have pretty much always owned 240's.i'll probably get another 240 down the road.but i'm really liking the 260 for now.i had a love hate relationship with the 240.some day when i have the money i may either buy a restored one or have one restored.les is a good guy.he's come to some of the san diego club mettings.i believe he's a long time member.hell of a nice guy and very knoweledgeable.i've been to his shop a few times.they do very good work,but takes awhile because of lack of man power.but overall still a very good shop.you have left your car in good hands.maybe i'll go up for a visit soon and check it out.thanks again for your story

mike aka (zlion) on zcar.com

• 2 months later...

Busy, busy, busy!

I have been very busy as I’m sure we all have been. While on my annual trek to Tennessee for the month of July I received some update photos from Les depicting the progress on my car.:) Progress seems to be tenuous and slow but as long as it is correct when finished the wait will have been priceless. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

post-7454-1415080453207_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150804532494_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150804532734_thumb.jpg

post-7454-1415080453298_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150804533222_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150804533472_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150804533778_thumb.jpg

post-7454-14150804534032_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
Wow, this was such a great thread. I just stumbled on it today,(after wondering where the hell it had gone). Do you have any new updates for us?

Deadflo,

Thanks for asking.

I have not heard from Les in a few months. The latest problem was the floor pan. I had another shop which had started the restoration years ago. I had a complete new factory floor for the car and when I went to check on progress they had cut it up and put pieces of it in. Needless to say I lost it! I pulled the car from that shop and put it back in storage for another 15 years or so. I had explained this to Les and sent many photos of the pan; he felt that it would not be a problem to correct. Then a couple of months ago he requested new floor pans for it due to the poor installation by the previous shop. I located and had a set of pans shipped to his shop. It has now been 29 months since I dropped off the car and plan to visit it when I get back from my annual July in Tennessee. I was just out that way for a hiking and camping trip into the Grand Canyon with my two sons. I had initially planned to go and visit Les during that trip but decided to focus on the Grand Canyon adventure and forgo the trip to Vista. I should have a lot of photos and up to date information when I go out there this fall. I am not concerned about the time frame yet but am growing anxious to drive the car and attend events, finally meeting you and other members.;) JLP

• 6 months later...
I have just pulled my 1972 240Z, of which I am the original owner, back in the garage to re-assemble for transport to Les Cannaday for it's rebirth (restoration). This has caused me to lament on the life of a car, an oddessey if you like. A car which has been part of some of the fondest of memories and some of the saddest of memories. I have decided to start a thread sharing the restoration and telling the story of the life of my 1972 Datsun 240Z. It will be a story of 4 years of the original fast and furious and 30 years of good intentions without results. Come along for the ride, if you wish, let me know what you think of the idea be it, in your opinion, trite or intriguing.

How time flies! That post was just over three years ago and tonight is three years to the day since a couple of my brother firefighters and I left on our road trip from Indiana for California to deliver the 72 to Classic Datsun Motorsports for the restoration. I was in touch with Les a few weeks back and he has set the goal of having the car ready for pre-paint inspection this month. :)I hope to have some updated photos to share in the near future.