IGNORED

Oddessey

JLPurcell

I know you like the car stock, but a set of Eibach springs would have set the ride height just right for that wheel and time combo. The Eibach springs do not lower to much, still give a solid ride and close the wheel well gap perfectly. It was best $200 I spent on my 73. I watched this car come together I know you will be very happy with it. Have a safe trip out here to San Diego County.

I know you like the car stock, but a set of Eibach springs would have set the ride height just right for that wheel and time combo. The Eibach springs do not lower to much, still give a solid ride and close the wheel well gap perfectly. It was best $200 I spent on my 73. I watched this car come together I know you will be very happy with it. Have a safe trip out here to San Diego County.

I have a set of original Datsun comp springs but that would lower the car 2" and the ride would suffer. If I stay with that tire wheel combination I will definitely go with the Eibach Spring set. I don't think we have the time to get this done prior to pick up at this point.

Hi Jerry, Not that you want my opinion, but that rim size with the low profile tire is just too small for the wheel well. Even lowering it won't help much. You either need a much taller tire on those 14's or go with a 16" rim and lower profile (see attached). Then it will look sweet.

just my two pennies.

Rich

post-19125-14150820585758_thumb.jpg

Love the car, can't believe that she is a one owner. That is amazing! Looks like Les took us back to 1972 again, Wow!

The ride height needs a tweak. It sits a little high and the wheel wells have too much space.

This is my ride height with 16'' Panasport's with 225-50-16 tires , it fills the wheel wells nicely.

6269300044_large.jpg

I have a set of original Datsun comp springs but that would lower the car 2" and the ride would suffer.

Hi Jerry:

The Datsun Comp. Catalog circa 1977 stated that the "European Spring" would lower the car 1/2 to 1 inch. The truth is that they do not - in fact they would raise the ride height about that much. The Euro. Spec springs are only about 10 to 12% stiffer than the stock springs.

Your car as pictured - looks like it was just taken off a lift or jack stands. I think that by the time you load it with fuel and passengers - then drive it a day or so - it will set down a "little" lower. Nonetheless, with no coils cut off the stock springs - the car will set higher than Factory Spec.'s because of the newer gas pressure shocks. Lots of us have ran into this problem.

Most guys reported cutting 1 1/2 to 2 coils off the stock springs - if running the newer gas pressure shocks. Pulling the springs back out to cut them down is no fun. Running the Euro Spec Springs you have to take 2 to 2 1/2 coils off.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl,

You are correct the car had just been sat down from the lift. Les took it to be aligned yesterday and he said that it had sat down quite a bit. I am still interested in figuring out a good tire set up. I though I had made a good choice when I purchased the r888's. I might be selling them but the only other tires I could find for the original wheels were mini-van tires. jlp

I drove 5 hours (round trip) today and picked up a rental enclosed trailer (24'). After giving my open trailer a total overhaul this spring for the trip I had a change of heart and decided to take an enclosed trailer. I went to the storage facility and loaded the 29 car it is in the trailer. I will have to pull it out tomorrow morning and wash it off. I will be loading all of the parts tomorrow as well. Hope to get on the road tomorrow afternoon. More to come.

Packed and ready to roll. Hope you have room for all of these parts Les! I am glad I rented a 24' enclosed trailer, it is packed. Will be leaving in an hour or two. Long drive but my wife is going with me this time so the travel time will be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Back home and the 1972 is back in the garage where it sat for 30 years while I procrastinated about its restoration. 5 years and 10 months ago I loaded it on a trailer and delivered it to Classic Datsun Motorsports for it’s restoration. Les met my wife and I in Williams, AZ Saturday night (Oct 6th) where, in the dark, we exchanged cars, handshakes and hugs. It was great to see Les again and it was great to see the 72 standing tall again after 36 years. I had envisioned a photo of Les giving me the keys to my new car but as it turned out it was an exchange in the dark with Les leaving for an event in Las Vegas as soon as the 72 was in my trailer and 00029 was on his trailer along with all of its parts.

A few minutes after Les had left us standing in the parking lot he gave me a call and said that Mary (my wife) and I should drive out side of Williams and take a look at the stars. He was right.

With the car in the trailer we got up the next morning and drove to the Grand Canyon for a day of sightseeing and a night at the Bright Angel Lodge. Monday morning we got up at 4AM loaded the truck and hitched up the trailer and left for home and 30 hours later we arrived in Richmond (5PM Tuesday Indiana time). Both of my boys were waiting on us when we got home. They took the Z for its first drive in our home town. They had grown up hearing stories of the Z while they saw sit in the back of the garage partially disassembled for their entire lives. I have driven the car around town a couple of times since getting home and it draws much attention. When it is parked crowds gather and when the interior and engine bay detail is shown people are amazed including local experienced car enthusiast. Driving it brings back a rush of memories. Les is continuing to help me work out a few bugs with the car (to be expected) and I hope to have every thing sorted before I put it to bed for the winter. I had a BRE car cover delivered to Classic Datsun Motorsports and have ordered a CAR JACKET from John (car jacket creator, what a nice and knowledgeable car lover he is).

I have to say that as happy as I am to see the 72 back and standing tall and proud I am just a happy to see the 00029 car out of 26 years of dark and damp storage and in the knowledgeable hands of Les. I believe that the next chapter of the Odyssey of the 00029 car is beginning and it deserves the loving care that Les brings to Datsuns. I will try to get photos of the 72 posted in the next couple of days. I can’t wait to see what the next chapter in the Odyssey of my 1972 Datsun 240Z brings. Thank you Les!