IGNORED

How long have you had your Z?

Walter Moore

Today is the fourth anniversary of buying my 204Z.:cheeky:

It has sat in the garage, and at times parts of it have been scattered all over the house, basement, attic, etc. But in all that time it has never moved under its own power. :cry:

I am getting closer all the time however, I just need a few more months and a few more dollars. (OK more like a few hundred more dollars.)

Am I all alone here, or have others been down this road before?

(I need some encouragement...)

You've kept at it this long, and that's encouragement for the rest of us!

That you've stuck at it this long, and still show enthusiasm, speaks volumes to your persistance and love of things Z.

Keep at it, your getting there pal.

Oh, and to answer your original question-I bought my zx on January 10, 2006-getting closer to one year, day by day.

Walter,

How about this (from my signature line):

70 240Z--owned since June 2005; accumulated some extra parts and cleaned it a bunch and that's about it.

72 Celica--owned since Jan. 2004; is drivable and gets exercised fairly often (once a week) and still have parts to install.

77 280Z--owned for the same time as Celica; was drivable until two weeks ago; braking system needs to be overhauled; sits outside and it is getting too cold so will have to wait until spring.

78 280Z--owned since October 2004; needs to have heating system overhauled; plan on pulling dash and replacing with uncracked dash; again it is cold.

78 280Z--for sale and yet I still have to work on it! Owned since Dec. 1998 and have driven it maybe 200 miles in all that time! Alot of work has gone into this one and it still doesn't show. Check the ad here:

http://www.grmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=222092#222092

81 280ZX--owned since April 2004; parked in Florida; get to drive it in Dec. when I go home for Christmas break.

82 280ZX--owned since Dec. 2005; also parked in Florida; same as the '81.

86 300ZX--owned since Dec. 2001; still needs work but is getting there; lots done since I bought it.

86 300ZX--owned since March 2006; friendly Nissan mechanic is working on this one at the moment; maybe I will get to drive it in Dec. knwowing Dave's schedule.

87 Supra--owned since October 2004; almost everything works on this car. I still need to finish the clotch seat swap on the rear seats and then i cans ell the leather interior to someone.

91 Mustang GT--owned since April 2004; this car needs nothing--wow what a concept! This one is also parked in Florida.

03 350Z--owned since Jan. 03; this car needs two new rear tires but they are bald enough to hook up which was not the case when they were new. Just slip the clutch a bit and you're off. I hope it starts when i return to florida in Dec. as the last time it sat for three months the battery was not happy until I put it on the battery charger.

when i was a z bewbie, I had 2 of them , a 71 ,and a 72. I took a few aftermarket, non stock parts off the older one, and put em on the newer one, and sold off the older one. and almost laughed a bit to myselfe as the guy drove off, and now,i wish i had kept the orig. parts, and actually the other car, it was nicer, but i was not so knowing at the time, i even threw out , oops, did i say that / ?? some decent parts :( but that was ten years ago, and then i got married in 7-14 also

I started my current project in April of 2004. The car is still shiney side down in the garage, but not for too much longer. I hope to start painting pieces in a month or so. Most of the parts have already been restored or replaced, so putting it all back together should not take all that long-after running a tap through all of the holes...

Will

I bought mine thirty four years ago now. I have spent the last eleven months putting sheet metal back around it. I am about to get some paint back on it. Arne keeps asking where the orange is? I keep looking and will soon be able to show him. But right now the orange paint is sitting on the bench waiting for the primer and last looks at the body lines. I too have a long ways to go but, no worry I will get there.

I just wish I had all the parts redone and ready to go back on. There are some in that condition but probably more that are still waiting to get the twice over.

Hi Walter:

I've been down that road. I'm still not sure where it ends.. and I really don't care. I simply make sure that as I'm going along, I enjoy every step to it's fullest. Getting done, is never my goal... enjoying the process is.

I bought my White 72 and stored it for four years, before starting the "refresh"... Once I started on it, it took about a year to get it back on the road. AIR that all started about 8 years ago. When I say it took a year - keep in mind that I was retired by then... so I had pretty much full time to devote to the project.

I've been working on my current project for about 2 1/2 years now...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I've had my Z for 4 years, and it hasn't been driven extensively in about 2. It was down for a year, then back up, but burns oil badly, so I can't drive it too much, but it's fun to take her out for a spirited run.

Before my dad gave her to me, he bought her back around 96-98, so I'm estimating about 8-9 years in my family overall.

I was asking this question myself the other day. It was so long ago I bought my Z that I had to go and find my title to see the purchase date. I bought it back in 92' and I had to fix a oil leak right away to get it on the road. It never was my primary car so I never drove it much and basically got shuffled from garage to garage as I moved around indiana. A sticking valve took it off the road till I could fix it and that's where I lost track of time. Every once in a while my wife says " when are you gonna fix up that car", and it would always be the same answer, 'I am saving it for my mid-life crisis'.The truth was that i didn't have the money to do it right so it sat. Well I finally got a little money and mid-life is getting here quick so I need to get moving.LOL

My first 240Z was a low-mileage '72 that I bought in August of 1978 when I was 19 right before entering my sophomore year of college. It had a beautiful new black paint job (originally blue) with a very clean white interior. I bought it from the body shop manager at the local Datsun dealer in Casper, Wy. That's the time in between when the new 280Z Black Pearl had been out for a little while and right before the new 280ZX was released and black was soon to be the new hot color for Zs & ZXs. I had the car for about 3 years before selling it and buying a '76 Corvette.

My son and I bought our '72 240Z in February of 2004 from a private party in Conifer, CO and it's curently in the body shop.

We bought our '71 in May of 2004 on Ebay that happened to be located here in the Denver area, so I was able to inspect it before bidding. We kept the '71 in storage until November of 2004 and since it required less work than the '72 my son and I stopped work on the '72 and focused on refreshing the '71. The paint was completed in December of 2005 and we finished everything up on it this past summer.