IGNORED

Triple Carb

red_dog007

Damn this really sucks, with some of the info in this thread I had to add that these 40's are a PIA to get right, so if you dont have alot of exp with tripples you might wanna look around for someone that does, and GOOD LUCK, it's a dieing art. I have the 40's on my l26, bored 30 mild cam headers exhaust and all, and like everyone is saying, they are alittle rough at low rpms, but smooth at high revs, I have synch and resynch and tried alot of different setups but just dyno'd mine and could only produce 127 max whp and 130 max torque, air to fuel in 12 to 14 range.

Nurse it to Daytona in Oct and canvas for some expertise there. That should be the place to get it.

Damn this really sucks, with some of the info in this thread I had to add that these 40's are a PIA to get right, so if you dont have alot of exp with tripples you might wanna look around for someone that does, and GOOD LUCK, it's a dieing art. I have the 40's on my l26, bored 30 mild cam headers exhaust and all, and like everyone is saying, they are alittle rough at low rpms, but smooth at high revs, I have synch and resynch and tried alot of different setups but just dyno'd mine and could only produce 127 max whp and 130 max torque, air to fuel in 12 to 14 range.

If your air and fuel are between 12-14:1 that's the important thing. You could maybe tighten up the range a little bit, but I don't see how that is going to make a huge difference in power. Maybe there is another reason you aren't making more power. Maybe you need different timing, a bigger cam, more compression, bigger Webers, etc. Did you dyno it before the Webers and after? Personally I don't think 40's make very much power over SU's, as I stated before...

After spending more money than I admitted to my wife, my 3.2L stroker w/44mm Mikunis got 314hp and 279#s torque@crank (5500-6800rpm) on the dyno last week. I should have it installed back in my 240 later this week. I'm looking to get about 250rwhp and 220# torque.

A big help in smoothing out the A/F ratios has been the purchase of a TWM fiberglass cold air box and a set of shorter horns. It was running at 13.7 across the board (2500-7000rpm). Now all I need to do is to cut/enlarge a hole in the radiator support for the 3-inch hose that will connect to the K&N filter.

After spending more money than I admitted to my wife, my 3.2L stroker w/44mm Mikunis got 314hp and 279#s torque@crank (5500-6800rpm) on the dyno last week. I should have it installed back in my 240 later this week. I'm looking to get about 250rwhp and 220# torque.

A big help in smoothing out the A/F ratios has been the purchase of a TWM fiberglass cold air box and a set of shorter horns. It was running at 13.7 across the board (2500-7000rpm). Now all I need to do is to cut/enlarge a hole in the radiator support for the 3-inch hose that will connect to the K&N filter.

Wow, those are some nice numbers. When I stroke my L24, I hope to be making at least 200/200 at the wheels. In a 2300lb car, I think that those numbers will make me very happy and it will still be hell a fast.

Though I think that you will be making more numbers then that at the wheels. You usually only loss some 30hp from crank in a rwd setup.

Gonna try and attach the dyno sheet , dont know if it will work I scanned it, but never had su's on this it was a package deal I bought after the 77's motor got trashed (son). Timing may very well be the problem, found yesterday that the elect fuel pump was out and only the mechanical was working, and it wasnt good , fuel pressure floating between 1.5 and 4 so fixing that first. and moved the timing to 12btdc and see what happens! it was at 22 from PO.

Hpefully bigger and easier to read

On the timing issue you'll probably want full advance in the mid to high 30's. You can test this on the dyno and figure it out. If you have a timing light with an advance dial you can figure that out just by setting the light to say 36 degrees, revving the car up to 3000 rpm and then setting the timing to hit the 0 mark on the pulley. Then you can adjust it on the dyno to get it dialed in right where you want it.

I'm guessing it's the way that the rest of the motor is built that is holding you back. Timing might help to optimize what you've got and you might pick up a few hp, but I think you're going to need to step it up in the compression or cam area (or both) to see a bigger jump in hp.

Jon what would you expect from say astock engine hp wise.

just got done retiming and readjusting carbs seems a lot better but who knows what the dyno will show, but hell at 45 dollars apoop for 2 runs that $^!# gets expensive

About 120 whp would be what I would expect from what I've seen on the net, but I've never dyno'd anything. Never had the $$$ to spend on a dyno. You might consider a Gtech or other similar product as they will give you 0-60 and hp estimates. At least you can tell if your last modification helped or hurt.